FIOS Cable Modem Router
42Jack
Enthusiast - Level 2

Getting lots of mixed signals (no pun intended) from Verizon and IT service folks about best way to upgrade FIOS services in my home.  I have legacy Verizon Actiontec MI424WR Router; TV and Internet Service is OK, but unless I'm within 20' line of sight to the modem/router, the wireless internet speed goes from 75/75 down to about 10/14.  Verizon suggesting I upgrade to Verizon FiOS Quantum Gateway AC1750 ($200 via Verizon; $99 from eBay).  But ... the IT folks who provide me in-home service are telling me, "... AC1750 is not the most current standard".   My IT folks are also telling me to get "the latest Verizon equipment (undefined), and to add a 3rd party router."  Not clear what any of that means, and I'm getting circular answers when I ask Verizon and my IT folks answers.  Appreciate anyone who can provide advice in laymans terms.  Thank you in advance.  42Jack     ps ... is the eBay $99 AC 1750 a safe buy? 

0 Likes
Re: FIOS Cable Modem Router
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

802.11ac is the latest technology available, so the  Verizon G1100 isn't as bad as what some are making it out to be. The speed is a representation of the antenna/radio configuration on the router.

On the 5Ghz end, which speaks 802.11ac, the G1100 uses 3x3 (Three Send, Three Receive) MIMO which equals approximately 1,300Mbps link speeds.

On the 2.4Ghz end, which speaks 802.11n (802.11ac is a 5Ghz only tech), the G1100 uses the same 3x3 Antenna configuration as the 5Ghz radio. This equates to 450Mbps at best.

Both 1,300 and 450 together, and you have 1,750Mbps. This is on par with many routers and enterprise access points.

Anything higher than maybe 4x4 802.11ac is a return of diminishing results. Once you start getting into that type of wireless gear, it's much cheaper to start pulling CAT5e cable and putting in access points for performance, and pulling wire to wire in devices which are mostly stationary, like Desktop PCs, Smart TVs, Game Consoles, and Cameras.

If your wireless signal is having a sharp drop-off, your routers' location but also, your home's construction should be factored into the problem. It is true the FiOS G1100 may not have quite the range as say, a Netgear R7000 or an ASUS RT-AC87U, but for many cases it is an acceptable router.

To answer the question about switching out routers, it's best to first read this. Keep in mind, the FiOS router is required to be present in some way, shape, or form for the TV service to function fully. https://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077 . You can use a third party router, but how to go about using one depends on the decision you make from reading the linked DSLReports article. In many configurations, your ONT will need to be provisioned with Ethernet, and Ethernet will need to be run to where your router lives.

42Jack
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks very much Smith6612!  A little too technical for me, but I think I get the overall picture.  I will share with my IT folks and have them interpret.  Appreciate the time you took to explain and provide additional resources.  Best.  42Jack

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

No problem!

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Note that actually some of the newer routers supporting 802.11ad are starting to show up, so your IT people are correct.  But it will be awhile before we see many devices supporting it.  Who knows when they wil finish the standards for 802.11ax and ay.