FIOS Constantly changing my IP address
GaryBisaga

I know that technically Verizon can change my IP address, but it seems very strange to me. Sometimes it goes days without changing my IP address. In the past hour, it's changed my address four times. This is extremely frustrating since I have to change VPN and remote firewall settings every time it changes. Is there any way to at least slow down the rate of changes? I have a D-Link DI-624 wireless router as provided by Verizon; I've read that if you have very old firmware this can happen, but I've downloaded the newest version I can find, which is:

Current Firmware Version: 2.50DDM
Firmware Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005
0 Likes
Re: FIOS Constantly changing my IP address
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

I have an actiontec router and my ip address does change but not that frequently.  Does the D-link support Dynamic DNS?  Will your VPN and F/w support a FQDN vs an IP address?

0 Likes
marc3565
Enthusiast - Level 3

Sounds odd..

I've only ever heard of Verizon giving out Westell or Actiontec routers.

The IP address shoudln't reset all that often.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@marc3565 wrote:

Sounds odd..

I've only ever heard of Verizon giving out Westell or Actiontec routers.

The IP address shoudln't reset all that often.

When FiOS first became availabe in 2004/2005 they used D-Link wired and wireless routers, I had one (still have it, although I don't use it any more). Switched to Actiontec and Westell later.

My IP address changes, but not "frequently", maybe anywhere from once a month to once every 4-6 months. For some reason mine changed recently, within the last week or two, yet I have not rebooted the router in several months. One difference from what newer customers have, my connection is PPPoE rather than DHCP, which may make some difference. But unless you reboot the router (or lose power to the house, for example), usually you will keep the same IP address for weeks or months.

One last thought: maybe Verizon is expanding the IP address range in his area, and is resetting connections every so often to move people to the new range (just guessing, I have no idea whether they would even do this).

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

just another thought.  if he has the old d-link router (far superior router in my opinion), he may also be set on PPPOE settings instead of DHCP. Some of the connections that were set up when they were using d-link were PPPOE connection. And they are still in use by Verizon. If so, each time the router looses connection or losses power, it will get a new IP.

EDIT:  I should have read more carefully, Justin already said this.  Duh! Smiley Tongue

jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Verizon renews the WAN DHCP lease each hour as shown in my log file.  It renew's every 13 minutes after the hour.  This could explain why this persons address is constantly changing. 

Apr 17 09:13:02 2010System LogWAN DHCPDHCP WAN connection IP:x.x.x.x,DNS:68.237.161.12 71.250.0.12 ,GTW:x.x.x.xSubnet:255.255.255.0 (WAN Ethernet)
Apr 17 10:13:03 2010System LogWAN DHCPDHCP WAN connection IP:x.x.x.x,DNS:68.237.161.12 71.250.0.12 ,GTW:x.x.x.x,Subnet:255.255.255.0 (WAN Ethernet)
0 Likes
jnmarshall
Enthusiast - Level 3
Oh, I'd kill to have my old PPPoE service. That was the best FIOS offering. When my contract expired they doubled the montly rate and forced me to a new contract(which was a whole other nightmare) When that happened I was switched to the DHCP which has a 2 hour lease. My voip caused my phones to ring EVERY two hours when it reconnected. I now use a router that produces a keep alive every 2 minutes so I keep the same IP indefiently.
But what I truely miss most about the PPPoE was the ability to have multiple routers connected to a switch that was fed by the ont. It allows you to have multiple 5 over 2 links! It was sweet having my voip on one, my XB and PS3 on another and my computer all with it's own 5 over 2 connection.

@Justin wrote:

When FiOS first became availabe in 2004/2005 they used D-Link wired and wireless routers, I had one (still have it, although I don't use it any more). Switched to Actiontec and Westell later.

My IP address changes, but not "frequently", maybe anywhere from once a month to once every 4-6 months. For some reason mine changed recently, within the last week or two, yet I have not rebooted the router in several months. One difference from what newer customers have, my connection is PPPoE rather than DHCP, which may make some difference. But unless you reboot the router (or lose power to the house, for example), usually you will keep the same IP address for weeks or months.

One last thought: maybe Verizon is expanding the IP address range in his area, and is resetting connections every so often to move people to the new range (just guessing, I have no idea whether they would even do this).

Keller, TX 76248

jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Even though I have a DHCP lease renewal every hour I never have any VOIP issues.  I run my companies VOIP telephone solution and Vonage and we've never had any phone issues.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@jnmarshall wrote:
Oh, I'd kill to have my old PPPoE service. That was the best FIOS offering. When my contract expired they doubled the montly rate and forced me to a new contract(which was a whole other nightmare) When that happened I was switched to the DHCP which has a 2 hour lease. My voip caused my phones to ring EVERY two hours when it reconnected. I now use a router that produces a keep alive every 2 minutes so I keep the same IP indefiently.
But what I truely miss most about the PPPoE was the ability to have multiple routers connected to a switch that was fed by the ont. It allows you to have multiple 5 over 2 links! It was sweet having my voip on one, my XB and PS3 on another and my computer all with it's own 5 over 2 connection.

@Justin wrote:

Keller, TX 76248

Connecting two routers through a switch to the ONT is a violation of the TOS. Yes it can be done because I had tried it. But your bandwidth is set at the ONT so If you run two routers and run a speed test on both at the same time, you would see half on each. I also tried that. Residential service is allowed a single dynamic IP.

0 Likes
nascar
Master - Level 1

My IP changes every 60 to 90 days.  I'm not doing a thing. Seems Verizon does it for some reason. 

0 Likes