FIOS DNS is SLOW!
Dmdarapt

I switched from Comcast internet to FIOS a month or two ago and I have noticed that the FIOS DNS is extremely slow! If I type in an URL it takes a good 10 seconds at "resolving host" before it starts loading, once it gets going it is fast but something must be done about the DNS! Comcast DNS was much faster though FIOS admittedly has more bandwidth.

0 Likes
Re: FIOS DNS is SLOW!
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can change the DNS server on your PC to see if it improves.

I have never experienced the issues you are seeing.

0 Likes
TelecomAdvo
Enthusiast - Level 2

Try using google DNS. Their database is more up to date. 

Capricorn1
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you are using the DNS servers that Verizon assigns by default and that end with .12 as in 71.252.0.12, try manually setting those to the same three first octets, but change the .12 to .14. (So for this example, I would change the DNS server to 71.252.0.14)

Verizon's DNS servers that end with .12 are part of what Verizon calls their "DNS Assistance" service. If you type a non-existent domain into your web browser, rather than the typical "Server Not Found" error message, Verizon would intercept that error and display a "friendly" page. It gave Verizon a chance to display a search page of matches to the web site you tried. It also gave them the opportunity to throw in 4-5 sponsored links, for whcih they would get paid. I think there is an extra step in the DNS lookup to see if the URL is not going to resolve. That slows down the lookup. Given that a web page can have dozens of URLs (to other pages, graphics, sound, trackers, malware, etc.) that could take some time.

Try it on one of your machines - preferably a hardwired connection rather than wireless connection. If it helps, you can change your settings in the router so all your devices use the alternate DNS servers. Verizon has instruction on doing the latter, here: DNS Assist Opt-Out. If you need help setting it up on a single machine first, let us know what OS you are using. I'm sure I could find or write up instructions for that if you need them.

Bixbyte
Contributor - Level 1

DNS settings for Quantum Router for maximum internet speed try Comcast DNS.

Installed NAMEBENCH on my Linux based lap and tested over 4,000 DNS for the fastest.

Ran Namebench -x in Terminal mode Linux 18.1

Namebench spent about one hour checking thousands of DNS for Max speed.

Namebench Test Results claim Verizon is the slowest and Comcast is the fastest:

71.242.0.12 Verizon Philadelph 261 ms | (excluded: Too many warnings (7), probably broken.)
151.197.0.39 Verizon Home4 US 269 ms | (excluded: Too many warnings (7), probably broken.)

Recommended configuration (fastest + nearest):

nameserver 68.87.73.246 # Comcast Manassas US

********************************************************************************
In this test, Comcast Manassas US is 66.8%: Faster
********************************************************************************

- Saving report to /tmp/namebench_2017-05-07_1713.html
- Saving detailed results to /tmp/namebench_2017-05-07_1713.csv

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Did you try the .14 as Capricorn mentioned?

0 Likes
Bixbyte
Contributor - Level 1

Yes I tried .14 but Verizon was slower than the Google DNS.

How about trying these settings?

imageimage

0 Likes