Re: FIOS Ethernet not working, Wireless works fine.
ShankedS
Enthusiast - Level 2

(It's refusing to show the table)

This is what I get, Speed & Duplex is auto, Status is: Connected Auto (100 FD) However, the computer is "Limited or No Connectivity" my Desktop, which is the Vista Machine, shows the "Local Only" connection.

0 Likes
ShankedS
Enthusiast - Level 2

To further add to the mystery.... I tried a 4th computer and it works just fine. This 4th computer is a desktop, hooked directly to the router and it connects just fine. So, naturally, I opened up network properties to compare between the desktop and the other computers I'm using. All the computers are setup for Dynamic IPs. All the computers have the Authentication tab (not that Authentication should matter with the default setup anyways, right?)

Nothing is different, except the type of network card. The Desktop is Realtek, my Laptop is Broadcom. However, my Desktop upstairs is also Realtek. Going to compare the two different Realteks. The "working" one is Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@ShankedS wrote:

Vista 64-bit on one machine, and XP on the other two. I'm going to go try the last suggestion by lasagna right now.

Oh, and yes, all three machines have connected to the ethernet on the FIOS router before. This was completely unexpected.

Do they show in My Network section under the Main Tab in router admin?  they should do if they ever connected  in the past.

What status do the ethernet connections show for those machines?

Have you tried deleting those presumbaly offline ethernet entries? You can click any machine in the My Network list to get to the extended status screen and then Delete device on a particular device.

After deleting an offline device does the ethernet connection now resolve properly to a valid dhcp address? - I assume it was resolving to 169.x.x.x before.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

OK ... this sounds more and more like a computer issue not an internet issue.

Give your computer a static IP and see if that works.

Try these values:  

IP 192.168.1.155  (I just picked one that's probably not in use on your network)

Netmask 255.255.255.0

Default route: 192.168.1.1

DNS: 192.168.1.1

Also, turn off any "firewall" software you may have on the machine.  It might be blocking DHCP packets.

0 Likes
ShankedS
Enthusiast - Level 2

@ Viafax999 - New router, I should have been a bit clearer. The old router, which was replaced with a new one when the problem was first reported, was connected two just fine. We got a new one though in an attempt to fix the problem, and the computers have never been connected to this one. In regards to the old one, it simply showed those computers as being disconnected (in the router's connections), even when they were hooked up.

@ Lasagna - Do I need to change any settings on the router to support the Static IP address?

0 Likes
ShankedS
Enthusiast - Level 2

In Vista, my network card has an IPv4 and an IPv6, I set the IPv4 and not the IPv6. For the briefest of moments I got internet access (It said my connection was global and to the internet). However, by the time I had Firefox opened it was back to Local Only... I'm sure this is a computer issue as opposed to a network one. But I have no idea why my computers, which have connected fine to the Ethernet here before, and connect to other places just fine, would have an issue.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

No.  Static and DHCP can co-exist.   We're just going to see if assigning a static IP (choosing one that that DHCP algorithm is unlikely to have already given out) gets past your problem (the default address range Verizon uses on the ActionTec's is 192.168.1.0/24).

You don't need IPv6 on the local network ... it's all IPv4, you can safely turn it off.  You do need IPv4.

ShankedS
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, as stated, upon trying a Static IP, it connected globally for a moment. Then went back to Local. It did it again a couple of other time sporadically, then went back to Local. It's showing the network as an "Unidentified Network". When it "connected" it went through the Vista process of recognizing a network and I selected home and it went through and connected. Now that it's not connected again, it doesn't see the Network as the "Home" network, just unidentified.

The settings for the Static IP are:

IP Address: 192.168.1.155

Subnet Mark: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

DNS Preferred: 192.168.1.1

DNS Alternate: 192.168.1.2

0 Likes
ShankedS
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've finally plugged my Windows 7 Machine directly into the router with two different cables. Using the Static IP settings, and it won't even see the router. It says "Unidentified Network" and is connected to something, but whatever it's connected to isn't the router as it doesn't have local access to the router. The network card is built in to the motherboard, it's a Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller, driver version 6.222.504.2009

I can think of nothing else that's causing the problem other than the computers and yet I dont know what the computers might be doing to block it. I've turned off all firewalls, lowered all restrictions...

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

another thing to test. take the computer that is working. disconnect the ethernet from the computer that works and connect that wire to another computer. If the other computer doesnt work, then you've isolated to something on the computer. May be firewall, bad windows update, etc.

0 Likes