FIOS G1100 Bridge or Passthrough Mode IPSEC Tunnel
Mane-Wayne

Hello,

We have a new site with Verizon FIOS and a G1100 router with a static public IP address.  I have a Cisco VPN router/firewall behind it so I can create an IPSEC tunnel back to a corporate firewall.  I think I need the G1100 set to bridge mode so that the public static IP address will work, anyone know if that is correct?  I had to go with a static IP as the IPSEC tunnel pretty much requires it.

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FIOS G1100 Bridge or Passthrough Mode IPSEC Tunnel
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Just a little caveat about the Cisco VPN Router. You need at least a RV260 series router in order to achieve the Verizon gigabit connection, otherwise the router will be a bottleneck to your Verizon subscription.

RV160 series router has a NAT throughput of 600Mbps, which is not enough for a 950Mbps Verizon gigabit subscription.

View solution in original post

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Why do you need the G1100 as the router, can't you use the Cisco VPN router? What model of Cisco do you have? RV160, 260, 345, etc.?

Do you have TV STBs on your network?

VPN IPsec is forwarded by G1100, why do you need to bridge?

IPsec does not require a static IP address unless your corporate VPN server requires a certain remote IP as the identifier.

Capricorn1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I was thinking the same thing. I have a Linux router with a dynamic IP address, but I ran an earlier version of the router with a static IP address for years before that. Assuming you have Ethernet Internet service from the ONT and you have a Cisco VPN/router, let it be your primary router. It's probably a better, faster router anyway.

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Just a little caveat about the Cisco VPN Router. You need at least a RV260 series router in order to achieve the Verizon gigabit connection, otherwise the router will be a bottleneck to your Verizon subscription.

RV160 series router has a NAT throughput of 600Mbps, which is not enough for a 950Mbps Verizon gigabit subscription.