FIOS G3100 Router - External VPN Issues
helpme62
Enthusiast - Level 1

I recently "upgraded" to the FIOS G3100 Router from the FIOS Quantum Router (due to a move) and can no longer VPN to my work network.  Below is a summary of the issue from my IT department.

Problem: Using and IPSec VPN connection to a Cisco firewall. After authentication, the firewall terminates the connection because the connection appears as a DoS attack. The logs show the following when connecting to the firewall:

2 Apr 06 2020 13:09:15 98.115.x.x x.x.x.x Deny IP teardrop fragment (size = 1480, offset = 0) from 98.115.x.x to x.x.x.x

Basically, the firewall is interpreting the connection as TearDrop DoS attack.

This works from other ISPs and the previous Fios connection. But under the new connection (and new router) the error occurs.

Any thoughts or advice on how to allow the FIOS G3100 Router to VPN externally would be appreciated. 

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FIOS G3100 Router - External VPN Issues
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Just for your information, VPN Fragmentation issue seems to be fixed in the latest firmware 3.1.0.12.

Users now does not need to use the Ethernet interface in order to connect to a remote IPsec VPN.

View solution in original post

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Check the firewall setting(s) in the router.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

You should be able to log into the FiOS router's web interface at https://192.168.1.1/ or https://myfiosgateway.com/ (Admin username and password are printed physically on the router) and adjust the Firewall setting from Typical to "Low" or "Off". Hopefully that should be it, and this isn't a problem with IPSec ALG in the router being broken.

helpme62
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you for the reply.  That is not it.  I have since learned that a wired connection allows me to connect via VPN, however a wireless connection does not.  It appears to be something with the new router's wireless settings.  I've tested most of the settings on the router, but still unable to find a resolution at this point in time.  

0 Likes
Miguel_Tech

Thanks for suggestion about trying it wired but it still wont work for me, i had no issues until i got upgraded to the new G3100. i even created some port forwarding rules to the ports that are required for the VPN and still no go. Calling Verizon tech support is no help either, they told me that no one has reported any similar issues therefore it should just be working. I had read on another post that someone had a similar issue and the issue was resolved by getting a new router, i don't know if that really would work, but i'm trying it it out. I will update this post once i get my new replacement.

0 Likes
mnetwork1

Did you ever resolve this? Have a colleague with this issue too.

0 Likes
Commodore64
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am having this issue as well.  Just upgraded to G3100.  Anyone able to figure out something to get this working?

0 Likes
Commodore64
Enthusiast - Level 2

0 Likes
supertech1
Spoiler
same issue here!
0 Likes
glump23

I'm having the same issue except that it works on wireless (with the firewall set to low), and doesn't work when I'm hardwired. 

0 Likes