Re: FIOS G3100 Router - External VPN Issues
SamerN

I am not sure what you mean by this (The tracert to the office resource shows the tunnel is not really "up.")?

Both tracert are to the office. The one over wired connection completes and the other over Wifi timesout. Are you referring to the second one? In both cases, the Shrewsoft client says tunnel enabled.

Unfortunately, I have an iPhone and have tried to set it up with VPN in the past to those two office that aren't working now, and it couldn't be done so I can't test that 😞  For what it's worth, I have a laptop already configured with shrewsoft that was also working fine before and now has the same issue. The laptop doesn't have a wire ethernet (unless i get a dock) so i can't use it for work right now.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hello again, I attempted to use the IPhone's native IPsec client to connect to my test VPN behind a G3100 via WiFi, it failed as well. I am contacting Verizon engineering for insights.

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

I have sent you a private message, please check. You can access your private message box by clicking on your account name on the right hand side of the page, and then click the mail icon on the pop up menu. Thanks.

lastofko

What is the solution?

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hello lastofko,

I have brought this issue to Verizon engineering and they are looking for causes and solutions. 

The current workaround is to connect an Ethernet cable between the G3100 and the computer. The internal resources on the other end seem to be accessible through this way.

What do you see in G3100's log when you are having VPN problems? Defragmentation error?

bulls23ant

Hi has any resolution been found for this issue since the last comment? I am having exactly the same issue the original poster had. Which is I'm unable to stablish a VPN connection with my office. I'm using Shrew VPN and setting are identical to the screenshots he posted changing the hostname were I'm connecting to. I keep getting the same error over and over again in the firewall logs:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/18ZSpR21YjIg0ZOZkccGaPsPKSBjRv4jY/view?usp=sharing

The ports change so I can't really forward them. I have forwarded all of the recommended ports I have found while searching posts in this forum of people with the same issue. 

I can't hardwire into the router because of the layout of my house so my current workaround is to temporarily place my laptop on the DMZ, connect, upload-download what I need and then take my computer out of the DMZ. It's 5 min at most but it's still not great. Luckily I don't have to be connected constantly. Any help will be appreciated.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sorry, I don't have further suggestions. Defragmentation error via WiFi interfaces is now a known error as multiple users have reported it.

Samsa

I have only a basic knowledge of networking and recognize you folks are on a higher level, so this suggestion for a workaround might be quite obviously ridiculous. If so, please be kind...

The OP said the VPN works on a wired connection to the Verizon router but not on a wireless connection. Have you tried connecting another wireless router to the Verizon router, turning off DHCP on the second wireless router and turning off both wireless radios on the Verizon router, then connecting wirelessly to the second router? Your laptop would still be getting its IP address from the Verizon router, but this might "fool" the Verizon router into treating your connection through the second router as a "wired" connection, since the second router is literally wired to the Verizon router. 

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes. It should work as you described.

Update for the entire thread: a fix is on the way. VPN issue may be resolved in a future firmware update.

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Just for your information, VPN Fragmentation issue seems to be fixed in the latest firmware 3.1.0.12.

Users now does not need to use the Ethernet interface in order to connect to a remote IPsec VPN.