FIOS Gateway 1100 in bridge mode to proper install Google Nest Wi-FI
Rupi
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi, I just upgraded to FIOS 1GB. I have FIOS TV, Phone and Internet. Verizon just installed a new ONT, I had a coax to the G1100 and just added an Ethernet cable from ONT to WAN port of G1100. I connected the Google WIFI to one of the LAN ports and turned off WiFI on the G1100.  I kept the same SSID on the Google WIFI so I don't have to reconnect all TVs, security cameras, Nest, etc....

Internet is working, airprint from iPad or iphone was not, I just reboot the printer and works airprint now. Google support is telling me that I have double NAT (G1100 and Google router) , I could not configured the G1100 in bridge mode, even I followed instructions from this forum. I had no success contacting a Verizon technical person......

Anyone have a recommendation , easy installation that can work? meaning wireless printing, TV, DVR, Remote schedule of DVR, xBox games, and web surfing and other connected smart devices.

thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FIOS Gateway 1100 in bridge mode to proper install Google Nest Wi-FI
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

The settings you are changing in the G1100 are basically turning the G1100 into a MoCA adapter. It's turning off the DHCP server so the Google hands out IPs. It's also putting the G1100 and STBs in the Google's subnet so there's no double NAT. The G1100 doesn't technically have a bridge mode like a modem does. 

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you just have one Google wifi or do to have multiple? If you just have one then just put the Google wifi in AP mode. If you have more than one Google wifi then you can't do AP mode and will have setup G1100 as a MoCA adapter. 

Login to the G1100 and go to

My Network > Network Connections > Network (Home/Office) > and change the 192.168.1.1 IP address to whatever the subnet of the Google is set. For example is Google's IP address is 192.168.0.1 then change G1100 IP to 192.168.0.2, then scroll down and disable the DHCP server. Then apply the new settings. After you apply you will now have to login to the G1100 at 192.168.0.2. Next connect the WAN ethernet to the WAN of the Google wifi. Connect LAN of Google wifi to LAN of G1100 and reboot your STBs. 

Rupi
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi thank you for the quick response, I would like to clarify that I have 2 Google devices, 1 router and 1 access point as part of the mesh network.

I also have a cat 6 from the new installed  ONT to G-1100 WAN port, for the internet connection.

The coax is still connected from ONT to G-1100 for TV services.

I thought the MOCA is when you just have a coax, but I have a Ethernet cable for internet connection.

Thanks

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok since you have two Google devices then they can’t be setup in AP mode. One of them has to be a router.

To avoid the double NAT you have to put the Nest as the primary router by connecting the new cat6 from the ONT to the Nest’s WAN port. 
The coax still has to connect to the G1100 for the internal LAN internet traffic for your TV Guide/On demand. The coax can also be use for WAN internet but only up to 100 mbps. Over that is has to be on ethernet. 

Rupi
Enthusiast - Level 2

OK, I ll test it today, so just to confirm, I don t need to set the G1100 on bridge mode in this case.

thanks a lot!

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

The settings you are changing in the G1100 are basically turning the G1100 into a MoCA adapter. It's turning off the DHCP server so the Google hands out IPs. It's also putting the G1100 and STBs in the Google's subnet so there's no double NAT. The G1100 doesn't technically have a bridge mode like a modem does. 

Rupi
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks, I really appreciate your recommendation, I just got home I ll test it later when family is not using internet. I ll let you know. Thanks again, stay safe!

0 Likes
Rupi
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is what Google told me I have:

I will just give you the IP address you have here. GAteway is 192.168.1.1 , router IP 192.168.1.152 , Nest router IP 192.168.86.1 IP Address.

what should be FIOS Gateway?

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sorry for delay. If Nest is 192.168.86.1 the G1100 should be 192.168.86.2 or anything in the Nest’s DHCP range not assigned to any other device. 

Rupi
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello,

I just confirmed that double NAT is fixed, internet is coming directly from ONT / Cat 6 ? Google Nest

TV seems to be working fine, I can watch live TV from my devices from home, the only thing I can not see are recorded TV programs, perhaps is the app from the iphone. But I can schedule recordings, so there is comunication.

Thanks a lot for your great help!!!!