FIOS HELP PLEASE!!!!
Nycindiegirl

hey i would first like to say that i love fios services. But i am really having a difficult time with my internet connection. i have two mac book pros that i have just purchased and my internet is really really slow. i did a couple of internet speed tests and i was running at less that 1 mb!!! i pay for 20 up and 5 down. The connection is not only wireless because i am on hard wire and it still is very slow. i have called fios multiple times and have not gotten any results. the speeds are also very sporadic like at this present time they are 19.50mb but just a few minuets ago it wouldn't even connect and the internet light wouldn't even come in. have been sent a new router and that still hasn't solved the issue. the fios rooter i am using is a actiontec mi424wr i have also restarted the router many times and reset it many times. Fios has reset my system many times. i i checked to see if it was the splitter and it was not because i have changed it. Can some one please help me !! this is really running my fios experience.!!!!

0 Likes
Re: FIOS HELP PLEASE!!!!
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

First step would be to eliminate anything within your house that is a source of the problem (bad cabling, splitters, etc.).   To do that, I would temporarily find where the cable for the ONT enters your house (probably immediately connects to a splitter which distributes to the rest of your house) and disconnect everything at that point and then connect the router directly to the ONT.   Then, hardwire your system via ethernet cable to the router and do your testing.  Nothing else attached -- just one Mac.

If during testing your speed remains consistent, then the problem is with the coax runs inside your house.  Bad wiring or splitters and you're going to need to start disconnecting cables and replacing splitters to track it down.

If you are still receiving bad results, a reset of the ONT might be worth a shot -- disconnect the backup battery from the ONT and then pull the power on the power feed to the ONT for about 60 seconds.   Power off the router.   Plug the ONT back in again, reconnect the battery pack, wait about a minute and then power up the router.   Wait until the router finishes booting up and try your tests again.    

If you still experience issues, then you're going to need a Verizon technician take a look at it as the problem would appear to be outside of your location.

Oh ... IMPORTANT ... make sure you go into your Mac and turn OFF the wireless Airport while doing this testing so that you don't try to communicate to the router over wireless while hard wired to the router.

Hubrisnxs
Legend

hello.

you have two things that you want to do.

first thing is to make sure your fios connection is moving quick enough, unfortunately you can't do that on the wireless ones.

so get on the wired connection

make sure you run the optimizer. (www.verizon.net/optimize)   (if you have a mac then run the broadband tuner (http://lifehacker.com/143951/broadband-tuner-only-for-fiber-optic-connections)

After you optimize, go to http://speedtest.verizon.net and run a test.  if it's good there, then you know your "actual fios" Connection speed is fine.

The problem with your wireless's are probably related more to the wireless signal in the house. 

So you would want to change the wireless signal.  you can do that in the router.   open a browser, and go to http://192.168.1.1

user name is admin.  and the password is "password1"  or just "password"  unless you changed it. 

Once you login succesfully, go to the top and hit wireless, then on the left basic security.   then go to option 3 which is channel

1, 6 and 11 and are the only channels you should try.

So it will likely be set to auto, change it to 11 and put the check for keep settings even after reboot (Directly under the channel) and then hit apply.,

after you hit apply,  test your connection out, if you notice a difference, leave it like that until the problem happens again, and if it happens again, go back into the router, and try channel 6,     test it out.  and then finally 1 if the first two don't work.

please let us know if this helps and what your results are.   

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

In addition to above, try a few trace routes. Get a couple when everything is working fine and a couple more when its slow. This could show if it is a Verizon network issue, internet issue, or local (your house) issue.

from the cmd prompt

tracert www.google.com

0 Likes