FIOS High Ping and Packet Loss
roev9

As a gamer, I'm experiencing high packet loss which leads to high ping in some of the games that I play.  Tracerts over the months/years have shown that the following hops are responsible (packet loss is usually between 20-100%):

ae11.edge2.NewYork.Level3.net    and   0.xe-3-0-1.BR1.NYC1.ALTER.NET and others hosted by Level3Comm

I know these do not belong to verizon, but something needs to be done to fix the bad routing because I cannot connect to my servers properly. In one case, the server is located literally 10 miles away from me and yet I have 80-100 ping during the evening hours which is completely unacceptable. I've called tech support but they are of no help and always say that verizon is not the problem and they cannot do anything. I've never had this problem with comcast and DirectTV, which I had before I switched to FIOS.

Please don't tell me to run the diagnostic tool, get a new router, reset my DHCP lease (or change any of my router settings for that matter), etc. as these things literally do nothing and are a waste of time. My ping/packet loss is fine if I use a VPN which means the problem is completely on verzion's end and they need to fix my routing. Also, my DL/UL speeds are fine (25/5), the only issue is ping and packet loss.

0 Likes
Re: FIOS High Ping and Packet Loss
roev9

I know a lot of people have had the same problem as me. Did anyone manage to get Verizon to fix it?

0 Likes