FIOS Intall Completely Outside?
Freeman71
Enthusiast - Level 1

My first ever FIOS install (internet-only) is scheduled for 13 April. When placing the order I specified that the install would need to be done completely on the exterior of the building and the Ethernet jack in the ONT should be enabled by the tech.

I will run my own Cat6 cable from the ONT to the interior of the building and configure my own router.

The person taking my order said all that is OK and I could work out the details with the tech.

Does anyone have any knowledge that would show any of this to be unrealistic or what I might expect?

0 Likes
Re: FIOS Intall Completely Outside?
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon's policy regarding novel coronavirus is changing rapidly, just as it is everywhere else.  A thread over on dslreports.com states that the techs are no longer allowed inside for any reason.  They are also maintaining social distance from customers and will communicate by phone/video chat.  No face-to-face meetings.

A typical install requires an indoor mounted power supply with a cable run to the ONT.  If the ONT is outside, an existing path through the exterior wall or new hole is needed to run the cable.  Techs usually test the install with a Verizon router to verify operation.  I don't see a way for an install to be completed without the tech coming inside.

It is very likely your install will be postponed until restrictions are lifted.  They aren't making any exemptions to the new procedures, as many customers have not been completely upfront about their health.  Techs are getting Covid-19 and Verizon wants to prevent any additional exposure.

Freeman71
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks much for your detailed reply. A couple more considerations. Assuming the tech will show up to do the install at all:

• If I install a standard 110v receptacle in an exterior-rated enclosure on the wall near the install location then the tech could get power from that for the ONT, or even mount the ONT inside the enclosure if it were large enough?
  • Since I am only asking that the Ethernet jack in the ONT be enabled and will then will install my own Ethernet cable to the interior of the premises, the tech could then do his check of the install with his own router at the ONT, outside?

Does it seem reasonable that these solutions seem to eliminate any need for the tech to enter the premises, now or in the future?

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

I've never heard of an exterior mounted power supply, outdoor plug or not.  It really depends on what Verizon's install policies are.  You're not going to find that out here.  The phone reps probably don't know, either.

Even if you call in and get a rep who understands your proposal, it's unlikely they will be able to do anything about it.  In normal times the phone reps don't know much about what techs can and can't do.  In today's environment, they are most likely operating with a strict set of procedures to protect their techs from people who aren't completely forthcoming. 

You can certainly do everything you can think of to eliminate any indoor work, but be prepared that it may not meet their requirements.

I think the chances of you getting the install are very low, if not zero.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

A post on DSLreports says Verizon is starting deployment of "FiOS in a box.:  It's a crate with everything in it that the tech leaves on the doorstep and walks the customer through the install process over phone/video chat.

You might want to check with Verizon to see if that's an option for you.

Good Luck.

RemyDI

If anybody sees this... I know it is a few months old.

I've seen the power supply mounted inside the house, near an outlet, then a power cable thru the exterior wall to the ONT.  The ONT was mounted outside with options for hooking up phone, Ethernet or coax.  Depends on what services you have.  Customer support can flip between coax and Ethernet for internet.

0 Likes