FIOS Internet Outage in whole of NJ
jsnj
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi folks,

Would greatly appreciate if any one can confirm this...

Is it true that whole of NJ is facing FIOS outage right now... I.e. 2011/06/14 1930 hrs EST and outage still continuing...?

Just got off a call with support after being on wait for 45 minutes due to high call volume, and I was told there that outage area is entire NJ and there is no ETA. 

I asked where I could find status of this outage on internet and I was told by the support person that she does not know about it.  Hence I asked what are the best ways to find out the status and I was told

a. Try going to verizon.net in the morning and if I am able to get there that means internet is back up

b. Call the same support number...

Is Verizon really serious in this day and age with what I have been just told???? No ETA.. No status etc....

Frankly speaking... I am a unhappy camper due to such a response!

Re: FIOS Internet Outage in whole of NJ
konradsa
Enthusiast - Level 1

I see what is going on. Surfing via my iPhone right now, since my Fios Internet is down. Can't really complain too much, this is the first outage in the 3 years we have had Fios. Definitely happened more regularly with Comcast before. But Verizon better give credit to everybody for this outage without requiring customers to call them and spend 30 minutes on the phone to get $2 back.

Neuregulin
Enthusiast - Level 1
Time: from 6/14/2011 late afternoon, definitely after 3:30pm, not recovered till now (6/15/2011)

Mi424WR router, the WAN/coax light on, Internet light steady on, cannot ping anything outside.

And I just had this FiOS service for less than a month...... Sigh

I don't have TV or phone service with V

(sent from my iPad, through AT&T)
TonyaD_VZ
Contributor - Level 3

jsnj,

We do apologize about the way the information was provided for you.  We normally update the automated system to advise customers of the outage and if you speak with an agent, we flag the customer's account so that we can call the customer to advise them when the outage is resolved. Please let us know if you are still having problems or if the issue is resolved.

Thanks,

Tonya C.

QuailridgeNJ

Frustrating! Frustrating! Atleast let us know that ther is an issue going on!

Internet came up approximately at 5:00 am est.It was down from last night - think outage started at 7:30 pm but i realized it only at 8:00 pm est.Verizon support is ridiculuous. I called the number that they had given me in one of the writeup and the guys is trying to sell me some crazy tiv package when i ask him if there is an outage going on.

and after lot of repeated patient prompting he says i need to call 1-888-553-1555 ! which by the way, is the same number that i called. At this point i hang up because the guy i am speaking to is either challenged or is palying the fool.I think it is the second case.

When do we get our refunds ?

0 Likes
jsnj
Enthusiast - Level 2

Tonya,

Thanks for follow-up. I did receive a call after 14 hours of outage that  my problem may have been fixed. However as you can see it does not enable an individual to plan ahead of time and thus my suggestion to Verizon is to

a. Proactively inform impacted customers that Verizon detected an outage and is currently working on its resolution. This will help Verizon in reducing the number of calls to their support center and help customers by their not having to waste time and wait for 45 minutes as I did.

b. Provide an ETA as to when the issue is expected to be fixed. I understand that it may not always be possible to estimate this accurately but, a ballpark would work as well, as it will at least allow people to plan ahead of time.

Thanks!

somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@jsnj wrote:

Tonya,

Thanks for follow-up. I did receive a call after 14 hours of outage that  my problem may have been fixed. However as you can see it does not enable an individual to plan ahead of time and thus my suggestion to Verizon is to

a. Proactively inform impacted customers that Verizon detected an outage and is currently working on its resolution. This will help Verizon in reducing the number of calls to their support center and help customers by their not having to waste time and wait for 45 minutes as I did.

b. Provide an ETA as to when the issue is expected to be fixed. I understand that it may not always be possible to estimate this accurately but, a ballpark would work as well, as it will at least allow people to plan ahead of time.

Thanks! 

How do you propose that they inform customers? If the internet service is out, a website or an email would be ineffective for most since they couldn't access it. I certainly don't want a phone call at noon telling me that my internet isn't working (I work nights), and I'm sure you wouldn't want one at 3 AM. Snail mail would take so long to arrive that the outage would most likely be over before it was received.

I'm not saying they shouldn't have an easy way for customers to find out when there's an outage, but the logistics of a proactive notification are a nightmare.

willdvr
Enthusiast - Level 1

Why not a simple notification/verification of known outage(s) with a possible fix ETA at the beginning of the menus when you call the tech support number for Internet help?

jsnj
Enthusiast - Level 2

somegirl: I find your response so absurd.... " logistics of a proactive notification are a nightmare.". You seem to be out of touch with technology!

fyi...Verizon already does have a mechanism in place to proactively, inform the customer(s) after a issue is resolved and it is non internet based. Same can be adopted  for other proactive steps.

btw ...not sure if you are a verizon employee, but my note was directed specifically to them. 

Justin46
Legend

@jsnj wrote:

somegirl: I find your response so absurd.... " logistics of a proactive notification are a nightmare.". You seem to be out of touch with technology!

fyi...Verizon already does have a mechanism in place to proactively, inform the customer(s) after a issue is resolved and it is non internet based. Same can be adopted  for other proactive steps.

btw ...not sure if you are a verizon employee, but my note was directed specifically to them. 

This is a user-helping-user forum, not a forum to direct questions/comments to Verizon. Says so right at the top of this forum and most if not all forums here:

"The Verizon Community Forums are where customers help other customers. If you need assistance for specific Verizon account issues, please contact us."

So if you want to direct your comments to Verizon, you should use one of the paths listed in the Contact Us.

Just curious, what "mechanism" does Verizon have in place? If it is not internet based, what is it? I sure as &^%$ don't want Verizon calling me at any hour to tell me there is something wrong. Are you referring to an automated message when you call the support number? Useless in my opinion, I am not going to bother to call in just to find out there is an outage, and sit there listening to some message that probably doesn't apply to me anyway. I will just go do something else for a while and check later to see if it is now working (and for whatever it is worth, in almost 6 years of FiOS internet, TV, and phone service, I can truthfully say that there has been only one issue that I am aware of, it was a router problem in Dallas, and it was pot luck if you happened to hit that particular router).

At one time, 4 or 5 years ago, Verizon did have a notification process on the web, and it actually worked. But for some reason they discontinued maintaining that site, I guess maybe because they did not want to publicize outages. Since the internet has been so reliable for me, I wish they would go back to providing that kind of info, but I am not holding my breath.

Anyway, if you want to direct your comments to Verizon, you need to use the appropriate path.

Keller, TX 76248