FIOS Internet Performance issues with some web sites, starting in July 2014.
jn1960

In the middle of July, I started having performance issues with some web sites.  Spinning cursors or just wouldn't load the page.  Speed tests showed good results and Verizon issued a new IP address to my router, but the problem has continued.   Verizon has indicated that the problem is not with their network, but with the web site servers that I am contacting.  But interestingly, I have no problems if I connect through my friends Comcast internet or a  Sprint broadband card using the same laptop computer.

Anyone else start experiencing similar issues recently?

0 Likes
Re: FIOS Internet Performance issues with some web sites, starting in July 2014.
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

While I have had no such problems using Verizon's DNS servers, other users who have had similar problems found that changing to another DNS server made a difference.

You could use OpenDNS, or Google's DNS, or you might run the free utlity, DNS Benchmark, to see what other DNS servers work well at your location: 

https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

0 Likes
Re: FIOS Internet Performance issues with some web sites, starting in July 2014.
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

@jn1960 wrote:

In the middle of July, I started having performance issues with some web sites.  Spinning cursors or just wouldn't load the page.  Speed tests showed good results and Verizon issued a new IP address to my router, but the problem has continued.   Verizon has indicated that the problem is not with their network, but with the web site servers that I am contacting.  But interestingly, I have no problems if I connect through my friends Comcast internet or a  Sprint broadband card using the same laptop computer.

Anyone else start experiencing similar issues recently?

When you use Comcast the content delivery network is different then the CDN you get with Verizon. Do traces routes from Verizon and Comcast and you will see where the trouble is

0 Likes
jn1960

Thanks for the suggestion.

Unfortunately, I tried both DNS options and I am still experiencing issues.

0 Likes
jn1960

Thanks for the reply.

When I run a trace route, it seems to get hung up on the hop through alter.net.

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

Alter.net is the issue. I believe they are the former MCI which was bought by Verizon. You will need tier II support to contact Alter.net about the issue you are experiencing.

0 Likes
jn1960

Thank you. I'll follow up with support.

0 Likes