Re: FIOS Internet Speeds :: 75/35 MB not even close
mtlebomac
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for all the input.

So with all the line checking and REAL WORLD FTP upload/download testing of 150MB file to my dedicated server at ThePlanet.com... (with approx 10 hops at 7am ... I'll now challenge the second poster's comments... line degredation was neglible) ... 

...the advertised speeds WIRED are suspect, and at 120% load test in the calculated model, the file file should download  in under ~40 seconds. My REAL WORLD test: it still takes over 1 min 10-15 seconds to download the file. 

It's unfortunate, but "complaining" is going to fall on VZ's deaf ears. 

Is there a legal case here? Probably in aggregate, but VZ may argue all the points listed above in the thread, so we'll most likely not get anywhere... shame... oh well...

...on the bright side, Roku/Plex/Tivo OTA work great!!! 🙂  

Cheers

0 Likes
44r0n

I'm not a programmer, but I can do basic math and I'm having a very similar problem getting anywhere close to my advertised Fio speed from my cloud drive service (but not when I'm using another ISP):

Day 1- I had Fois's 75/35 plan.  I signed up for PogoPlug's unlimited cloud drive service and was getting roughly 26Mbps-up with several Mbps variance.  This is sort of what I expected, but I contacted PogoPlug to make sure they weren't doing anything to limit me to 26Mbps.  They said they were not and that traffic fluxuations, yada, yada, yada... -understandable.

Day 2- My up speed to PogoPlug dropped to 2.6Mbps with a variance of only .1 (that's point-one) Mbps.  I'm backing up hours of digital-IMAX footage, so this upload will take weeks at this rate.  I watch the upload for a few days and it never wavers more than .1 from 2.6Mbps.  I open a service ticket with PogoPlug, and call Verizon.  

Day 3- They both assure me they are not throttling me at 2.6 and PogoPlug starts asking for screen shots of various mesuing tools and things to try with my router, while Verizon (phone and text support) basicly offer the same thing.  Neither to any affect.  

-Note that both my 1Gbps-CAT5-cabled-to-the-router workstation and my wifi laptop are haveing the same experiances.

-Note also that every web based speed test shows I'm getting just above 75/35 with a 9 or 10 ms ping (whatever that means)

Day 10- I get called in for a freelance gig at NASA-HQ (video editing), so I bring my laptop, connect to their wifi, and get 11Mbps-up with PogoPlug.  I get home that night and find my workstation has not wavered (as far as I can tell) from 2.6Mbps-up.

Day 20- I get fed up with paying for bandwidth I'm not getting/using, and getting no where with anyone's tech support, so I call Verizon and lower my speed to 15/5.  My PogoPlug upload speed remains at 2.6Mbps.

Day 30- I research throttling and ISP competition and discover I have no options unless I'm willing to pay over $800/month for even shared 10Mbps-up from a service that promises not to throttle.  Both Vz and CCast, according to articles, have admitted to selective throttling with suspected copyright violators.  I haven't recived any warning letters or emails, but it sort of seems like I've been targeted, even though this is my own footage I shot with my own camera.

Day 40 (today)- I don't know what to do now.  I guess the promise of cloud drives is just a pipe dream (pun not intended).

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Here's the thing though. If you're getting great speeds to everywhere but PogoPlug there's a very likely chance that you're going along a bad path, and a connection elsewhere could be taking a different path. The Internet is a very dynamic network and is quite prone to such variances as both Verizon and PogoPlug suggest. Now, if Pogo is offering $5 Unlimited Cloud storage, I would venture to take a look at their ToS to make sure they aren't throttling IP addresses on their end for excessive bandwidth usage. Verizon's anti-piracy throttling so far hasn't really seen the light of day according to what has been reported online, and there are folks doing 30+ Terabytes of upload data on FiOS without an issue each month.

For uploads, you definitely need a quality server to base your measurements on. Cloud Storage providers, whether free or dirt cheap can be iffy whereas having your own server in a quality datacenter will give different results.

Just some food for thought.

0 Likes
44r0n

Thanks for the food for thought (I can definately use as much as I can get).

I read PogoPlug's TOS thoroughly because I was worried about how safe my data would be (not much as it turns out, but I couldn't find any cases of their loosing or corrupting data so far, and they use Amazon's servers, so I figured it was worth a shot).  The TOS didn't say anything about throttling or guaranteeing bandwidth.  ...and as I said, their tech support claimed they "allowed all available bandwidth to be used" (I assume they ment their own).  And now that I think about it, they did directly say they don't throttle.

My next step will probably be to find a second cloud service and see what happens with them.  I'm looking for a suitable substitute now.

Is it possible for me to be getting on the same bad path after all of my reboots and router restarts, except for that one first time I uploaded?  And the regularity of the 2.6MBPS +/- .1 has me suspicious against that theory as well... shouldn't it be going wildly up and down if it were just a series of bad paths?  I live on the edge of Washington DC, so I'm pretty sure the hubs on my end are decent.

I don't really know what "server in a quality data center" I could try to upload a TB to.  Maybe I should try a torrent?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@44r0n wrote:

Thanks for the food for thought (I can definately use as much as I can get).

I read PogoPlug's TOS thoroughly because I was worried about how safe my data would be (not much as it turns out, but I couldn't find any cases of their loosing or corrupting data so far, and they use Amazon's servers, so I figured it was worth a shot).  The TOS didn't say anything about throttling or guaranteeing bandwidth.  ...and as I said, their tech support claimed they "allowed all available bandwidth to be used" (I assume they ment their own).  And now that I think about it, they did directly say they don't throttle.

My next step will probably be to find a second cloud service and see what happens with them.  I'm looking for a suitable substitute now.

Is it possible for me to be getting on the same bad path after all of my reboots and router restarts, except for that one first time I uploaded?  And the regularity of the 2.6MBPS +/- .1 has me suspicious against that theory as well... shouldn't it be going wildly up and down if it were just a series of bad paths?  I live on the edge of Washington DC, so I'm pretty sure the hubs on my end are decent.

I don't really know what "server in a quality data center" I could try to upload a TB to.  Maybe I should try a torrent?

What I meant by the quality datacenter comment would be if you have for example a web hosting server you could try uploading data to who has a really good internal network, and peers with some solid providers such as Internap and Level3 (these are Backbone providers).

I thought I heard of someone mentioning some speed issues to Amazon recently after they experienced some outages that affected some streaming services during the Holidays. Netflix rings a bell. So that may be something to keep in mind here considering I've checked over your storage provider's ToS and didn't see any language about throttling either (awesome folks in that case. Most throttle after a certain amount :C ).

By any chance are you able to get an IP address of one of their servers used to store data from and try tracing it while your connection is idle? That could help with spotting the issue.

0 Likes
Re: FIOS Internet Speeds :: 75/35 MB not even close WIRED!
anonFios
Contributor - Level 2

I saw your other thread and came here.

I also have the 50/25 plan so I did a test using speedtest.net over wifi and got ~41 Mbps down / ~31 Mbps up.

0 Likes
44r0n

I think I'm going to give up.  It's easier to just leave Verizon than to try to figure this out...

"By any chance are you able to get an IP address of one of their servers used to store data from and try tracing it while your connection is idle? That could help with spotting the issue."

If I was able to get this IP address, how would I go about tracing it?

Also, my first post had this popup at the bottom:
"This message is being resolved in a private support area."  in grey
Does anyone know what this means?

0 Likes
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

Hi 44r0n

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Please go to your profile page for the forum, and look down the middle towards the bottom where you will find an area titled "My Private Support Cases".
There you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. This should be checked on a frequent basis as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Getting the IP address of one of the storage servers would need to be gotten through some technical means, specifically a tool called Netstat at minimum. Otherwise, you could ask PogoPlug's Cloud Storage support team for an example IP address to try tracing.

Running a traceroute and pasting the results is simple on the machine. See this guide for more information: http://support247webs.com/windows-traceroute.htm

0 Likes
TonyaD_VZ
Contributor - Level 3

44rOn,

We sent you a message on our private support board to assist you and we did not receive a response.  Please repost the issue if you are still experiencing a problem so that we may assist you. 

Thanks,

Tonya D.

0 Likes