FIOS Internet speed is SLOWER after upgrading...
aufbau
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've had FIOS Internet for about 1 year now and have loved it until just this past week.  Up until this week I had the 5/2 Internet service.  A few weeks ago I ordered a Triple Play bundle which included an upgrade on my Internet connection from 5/2 -> 20/5.  The connection was upgraded about a week ago and since then my Internet connection has been slower.  I used to be able to download large files at about 500-600 KB/sec consistently, now that my download speed has been upgraded the downloads fluctuate all over the place from as slow as 30 KB/sec up to ~400 KB/sec.

I never thought that having my download speed quadrupled would lead to less consistent and slower download speeds.  I used the Verizon online speed optimizer to optimize my wireless settings and I'm still experiencing the same problems.  Any ideas???

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FIOS Internet speed is SLOWER after upgrading...
aufbau
Enthusiast - Level 2
Rebooting the router by unplugging it and plugging back in seems to have resolved the issue.  Thanks everyone.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@aufbau wrote:

I've had FIOS Internet for about 1 year now and have loved it until just this past week.  Up until this week I had the 5/2 Internet service.  A few weeks ago I ordered a Triple Play bundle which included an upgrade on my Internet connection from 5/2 -> 20/5.  The connection was upgraded about a week ago and since then my Internet connection has been slower.  I used to be able to download large files at about 500-600 KB/sec consistently, now that my download speed has been upgraded the downloads fluctuate all over the place from as slow as 30 KB/sec up to ~400 KB/sec.

I never thought that having my download speed quadrupled would lead to less consistent and slower download speeds.  I used the Verizon online speed optimizer to optimize my wireless settings and I'm still experiencing the same problems.  Any ideas???

An idea may be a cold boot of your ONT. You would need to disconnect the battery from inside the battery back up, and then pull the plug on the power supply to the ONT. Leave it off for a few minutes and then reconnect everything. Also reboot the router after the ONT returns to normal. It may be that something just did not get initalized correctly after the upgrade. Perhaps the Verizon people here have better ideas. If this does not help, I would call the FIOS tech support and have them look into the issue.

Also remember if you do this, you will loose TV, Phone and Internet until everything resets. Meaning if you have any DVR activity such as recording a show, it will stop recording the program.

Message Edited by prisaz on 01-28-2009 04:28 AM
Omni-Potent
Enthusiast - Level 3
It would be easier to call tech support and let them reboot the system. The router can be done easy enough on your own.
0 Likes
Omni-Potent
Enthusiast - Level 3

Go here to test your connection speed and tell us your results:   www.speedtest.net

And go here: http://www2.verizon.net/micro/speedtest/java/  and report the results. I'm curious as to the diffrence in the results.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@Omni-Potent wrote:
It would be easier to call tech support and let them reboot the system. The router can be done easy enough on your own.

True, but there are some things that can only be fixed by a "Cold Boot" Tech support could only do a soft boot when I called them after my phone locked up. It's like the difference between Crtl-Alt-Del and the power switch on a PC. Just an idea. Yes if you want to wait, perhaps tech support would try a soft boot and then ask you to cold boot. Soft boot may fix it, but then again you need to call them.

He did say, "I used the Verizon online speed optimizer to optimize my wireless settings and I'm still experiencing the same problems". If he ran the optimizer, I am sure it ran the Verizon speed test.

Message Edited by prisaz on 01-28-2009 05:09 AM
0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@aufbau wrote:

Oh one more question. You said you ran the wireless optimizer. Have you tried a hardwire connection and experienced the same issue? This would isolate if it is a wireless issue, or a FIOS network issue.
0 Likes
aufbau
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you everyone for the responses and suggestions.

Regarding speed tests at speedtest.net and verizon.com, I did do those.  I can't remember the EXACT numbers, but at speedtest.net I was getting about 6200kbps down and 4500 kbps up (however, like I said when I download I don't get anywhere near the throughput I get during this speed test).  At the verizon.com Java speed test I got ~4400 kbps down and I can't remember what the upload speed was.  Both tests were done over the wireless from the same location in my house on the same laptop.

I have not tested out my wired Internet connection yet, but I will do that this evening.

I will also try to do a reboot of the router as suggested and see if that improves things.  I'll respond this evening with updates.

Thanks again!

- T.C.

0 Likes
aufbau
Enthusiast - Level 2
Rebooting the router by unplugging it and plugging back in seems to have resolved the issue.  Thanks everyone.
0 Likes