Re: FIOS Internet
Chiz

prisaz,

I appreciate your reply, but if you would read a little more you would realize I'm not just aimlessly complaining.  I replied to Jim785, a Verizon employee, with the DETAILS he requested.  He still has not, nor has any other Verizon employee, posted back with possible issues.  Also, I was not upgraded to 20/5 for free.  Once again, I apprecite your reply, it appears that with your post count you are a very active/helpful member, or an undercover employee.  I don't mean to be negative towards you in any way, please understand this.    It seems all the threads I read tell you to call tech support.  You would think they would post possible answers on here for people to try themselves first, then call in to tech support. 

Chiz      

0 Likes
kevinb
Contributor - Level 2

@Chiz wrote:

Hello Jim785,

I'm not Anthony_gig but I too have some issues with my Fios speeds that irritate me.  My problem is it's just slow all the time, not a yoyo.  Here are my answers to your questions, please reply with any ideas that you may have to help.

Testing speeds at 6/1.5, paying for 15/2.

Wired connection

XP Home Edition

1.5 GB Ram

Using speak easy and selecting the closest site.

I switched from Verizon DSL a little over a year ago and expected a huge speed difference, but have been real disappointed, although I've been dealing with it, any help/info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Chiz

Are any other devices using your internet connection while you are testing your speed? Other PCs, consoles, cell phones, etc?

Have you tried a speed test from safe mode?

@IS your NIC connecting @ 100mbps/full duplex?

0 Likes
anthony_gig

Today its slow choking - then comes on line - then again slow choking stuck - then online back to speed - like I said YoYo....

Here comes COMCAST !!!!

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@Chiz wrote:

prisaz,

I appreciate your reply, but if you would read a little more you would realize I'm not just aimlessly complaining.  I replied to Jim785, a Verizon employee, with the DETAILS he requested.  He still has not, nor has any other Verizon employee, posted back with possible issues.  Also, I was not upgraded to 20/5 for free.  Once again, I apprecite your reply, it appears that with your post count you are a very active/helpful member, or an undercover employee.  I don't mean to be negative towards you in any way, please understand this.    It seems all the threads I read tell you to call tech support.  You would think they would post possible answers on here for people to try themselves first, then call in to tech support. 

Chiz      

Not undercover, and I wish Verizon paid me. I did read all the posts and see you did provide information about your setup. I did not mean you should not post your beefs, but I have seen issues not related to the connection itself. Lord knows I have posted my share of complaints. Even as a CL I have not always had a positive spin on things. But I have had FIOS since 2005 and have never had issues with speed dropping off, unless something on the machine was flakey. When I switched to Vista there were issues with the TCP/IP stack, and Verizon's optimizer fixes that, but I fixed the problem before they did. Ran Vista Beta. I have seen a XP PC loaded with spyware come to almost a grinding halt. I hope you get your speed issue figured out and resolved. Sorry I can not be of anymore help.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

One more thing you can try. I know my Vista machine was slow at some point after loading a service pack and or MS hotfix. 50% slower. XP may have had some recent things pushed down from MS. The Optimizer adjusts the TCP/IP stack and could solve some of your issues.

http://www2.verizon.net/help/fios_settings/optimizer/

0 Likes
Chiz

prisaz,

I appreciate the help.  I have ran the optimizer, and it says I'm already optimized.  I do plan on getting some sort of spyware program to sweep my computer and see if that helps any.  I do run Norton all the time, but they may not be able to catch all of it.  Thanks again.

Chiz 

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@Chiz wrote:

prisaz,

I appreciate the help.  I have ran the optimizer, and it says I'm already optimized.  I do plan on getting some sort of spyware program to sweep my computer and see if that helps any.  I do run Norton all the time, but they may not be able to catch all of it.  Thanks again.

Chiz 

Here is a link to a thread regarding spyware, and has the links to three popular versions of software.

http://forums.verizon.com/vrzn/board/message?board.id=FiOS_Internet&message.id=3416&query.id=74712#M...

0 Likes
kevinb
Contributor - Level 2

@anthony_gig wrote:

Today its slow choking - then comes on line - then again slow choking stuck - then online back to speed - like I said YoYo....

Here comes COMCAST !!!!

You probably should just stop using the internet in general.
Message Edited by kevinb on 06-12-2009 11:12 AM
OWUaaronTSi

@kevinb wrote:

@anthony_gig wrote:

Here comes COMCAST !!!!

You probably should just stop using the internet in general.
Message Edited by kevinb on 06-12-2009 11:12 AM

lol
0 Likes
TR-Tim
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well, here is my experience over the past month.  I started noticing a slowdown in speed, not all the time, just periodically.  I would reboot the router, and things would clear up for a while, then would slow down again.  Other times it was fine, nice and fast.

Had called customer service several times, some reps were good, others not so much, but eventually they sent me a new router.  Seemed ok at first then later, same thing.  I was ready to call again and request someone to come out and look at the situation, but that evening was just fooling around, checking the router settings and such, and found when I turned off the wireless on the router, speed shot right up to about 9.8mps where it should be.  After a while it would slow down.  The only two computers on the network at that point was our main desktop PC and my son's laptop.  (he was in bed asleep, but he leaves it on all the time).  Next day we did a test, had him turn off his wireless card and wouldn't you know, THAT was the culprit.  He had some kind of virus or something affecting his wireless adapter, and that was causing all the problem.  Now he's fixed it, and all is well.   So, you may want to check if someone else's equipment in your household is causing you problems, or it's possible that a neighbor could be connecting to your signal and causing your situation.