FIOS, Ipv6 and actiontec router
bigfootmd
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello, 

As many of you have noticed there is very little information available about Verizon's plans to upgrade FIOS to Ipv6.  I have the Actiontect MI424WR Rev C router which does not support Ipv6.  Now, I don't even know if Ipv6 is available yet in my area (which is the Maryland Suburbs of Washington DC).  So, does anyone know what the status of Ipv6 is and also what will FIOS do for customers who have older routers (which Verizon supplied us) that don't support Ipv6?

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FIOS, Ipv6 and actiontec router
bigfootmd
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi gang,

I called Verizon Fios Tech support late afternoon 1/18/2013.  I told them that I had a revision C router and that I was experiencing performance issues.  Today UPS came and delivered a revision F

router.  Revision F does support IPV6.  Yes, I know that could have purchased or nagged to get the new Gigabyte Router but, the only advantage to wireless N is if you have matching Internet speed.

For my home 35Megs/35 Megs is fine.  I will swap the router out over this holiday weekend and ship back the Revision C.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
aliasneo1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello you can upgrade to wireless N router which allows ipv6, you can place an order online at the Verizon website

https://teleproducts.verizon.com/fios/index.cfm/eh/ShowCart

Verizon has dropped the routers price too..

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@bigfootmd wrote:

Hello, 

As many of you have noticed there is very little information available about Verizon's plans to upgrade FIOS to Ipv6.  I have the Actiontect MI424WR Rev C router which does not support Ipv6.  Now, I don't even know if Ipv6 is available yet in my area (which is the Maryland Suburbs of Washington DC).  So, does anyone know what the status of Ipv6 is and also what will FIOS do for customers who have older routers (which Verizon supplied us) that don't support Ipv6?

Thanks

If you have a revision C router, I can say it is OLD, has a small NAT table, and will probably be replaced at no cost. Contact tech support / fiber solutions center, and tell them you have an old Revision C router that you believe has been causing issues with gaming and other software. Not saying you will get the latest router, but you stand a good chance. I know they have been trying to get those really old pre GEN 2 routers out of circulation. Rev. C is well past its end of life. More than 2-3 years old, and I would say probably closer to ~ 4. Even though the new router has IPv6, at this time IPv6 is not supported. But when it is, I think it will be dual stack like it should be.

1 800 837 4966 or http://www22.verizon.com/content/contactus

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

As others have stated, the Rev. C is pretty old and when Verizon moves to IPv6/IPv4 dual stack, they will replace your router without charge. It is a Gen1 router capable of IPv6 but the firmware is quite heavy, and the lack of RAM won't help too much.

0 Likes
Gdaymate
Enthusiast - Level 3

My Actiontec router is over 3 years old but don't know what revC means? I just spoke to Verizon about a problem I'm having with a brand new flat panel TV that keeps losing the internet connection and the only way to get it back on-line is to turn off the router wait 2 minutes and turn it back on again. Should I be asking for a replacement/upgrade?

0 Likes
bigfootmd
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Revision C refers to the hadrware version of the router.  To find out which version you have pick up your router with al the LED's facing  you.  Point the fron panel up and you will see a label.

The label will tell you what  version your router is.

0 Likes
Gdaymate
Enthusiast - Level 3

had already done that and there is no revision information anywhere on the router.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@Gdaymate wrote:

My Actiontec router is over 3 years old but don't know what revC means? I just spoke to Verizon about a problem I'm having with a brand new flat panel TV that keeps losing the internet connection and the only way to get it back on-line is to turn off the router wait 2 minutes and turn it back on again. Should I be asking for a replacement/upgrade?

Model: MI424WR Rev. I is the newest revision right now, and has the redband around the front and not silver.

Rev. C means Hardware revision C. The Rev. A-D were Generation 1 routers. The in Model and serial number label. The newer routers have more memory among other things, a larger Network Address Translation table, and I believe a faster processor, thus Generation 2. Labeled on the Model Rev E or greater.

If you have one of the older routers Rev. A-D, I would contact tech support and ask for a new replacement. They should not charge for this since your router is obsolete and causing issues. The older routers are fine perhaps at 15/5 speeds, but as the speeds increased along with the number of simultaneous connections customers would make, the older routers started having issues.

Gdaymate
Enthusiast - Level 3

No rev label - just a small label that says:

Model1424WR

F/W 4.0.16.1.56.0.10.7

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@Gdaymate wrote:

No rev label - just a small label that says:

Model1424WR

F/W 4.0.16.1.56.0.10.7

Ok another way to tell. Log into the router and look at the firmware under the advanced menu. Or.

If your router does not have a round button with arrows on it indicating a circle, on the front just above the Model number, it is a Generatin 1 Revision A-D.

Even an old Actiontec MI424-WR Rev. D still has that information on the Model Serial Number label. If yours does not it may even be a rev. A. Which I started out with. Get it replaced