FIOS MDU Speed Limit?
rutoro
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello. Does anyone know what the usual FiOS MUD speed limit is? I've set up new FiOS service. Today I was told that since I'm living in an MDU the maximum Verizon can provision is 10/2, rather than the 15/5 I was supposed to have. Is this normal? One other billing associate said 20/5 might work, but I'd have to pay extra. Is your area still 10/2 instead of 15/5?

0 Likes
Re: FIOS MDU Speed Limit?
prisaz
Legend

rutoro wrote:                                                                     Edited.

Hello. Does anyone know what the usual FiOS MDU speed limit is? I've set up new FiOS service. Today I was told that since I'm living in an MDU the maximum Verizon can provision is 10/2, rather than the 15/5 I was supposed to have. Is this normal? One other billing associate said 20/5 might work, but I'd have to pay extra. Is your area still 10/2 instead of 15/5?

Welcome to the Community.

Well I did a search on this board, and this is what I came up with from Verizon. 20/5 should be the limit. But perhaps VDSL2 is higher. You would need to contact someone at Verizon that could tell you that. If your building is older, and there are line issues, perhaps the limit is lower. I would suspect you could get 15/5. I did not believe they offered 10/2 any longer. Try to send a private message to one of the Verizon people in the post that is referenced below. You do that by clicking on the users name and then selecting it from the right side of the page. Send Private Message.

Looking at the service offerings it jumps from 15/5 to 25/25. 25/25 not being possible I waould demand 15/5 since that is the lowest advertizes tier. 20/5 is what I used to have but it is not offered anymore and now the middle is 25/25.

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/What-is-Speed-Limit-for-FIOS-MDU-Multi-Dwelling-Unit-20-5...

rutoro
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for finding that and your reply! I have spoken to numerous representatives about it and they have going as far as to suggest that I just cancel my service if I'm not satisfied. After that I spoke to a customer advocate, and she explained that she thought that 10/2 was the maximum available, and nothing can be done.

I'm just not sure if there's a high amount of misinformation among the customer service representatives, or if Verizon forgot about MDUs when upgrading the tiers. It seems to me if Verizon could offer me 20/5 it could certainly offer 15/5. 😞

If anyone else has been locked down to 10/2 (below advertised speeds) please let me know your experiences.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

This may be a function of the quality of the wiring in your building, the bandwidth available coming into the building, or the type of equipment they are using within the building to redistribute the signal over onto copper.   How old is the building you're living in and when did it become "FiOS ready"?   Have you checked with any neighbors to see if they have FiOS and what their speeds are?  My assumption here is that Verizon is charging you a reduced rate for reduce capacity?  

Are you saying they have 10/2 and 20/5 but don't offer something in middle -or- are you saying they have nothing above 10/2 in your building?

rutoro
Enthusiast - Level 2

According to the website I should be able to upgrade to 20/5 or 30/5. A customer advocate I spoke to from the escalations department said she didn't think anything except for 10/2 was available and that 20/5 and 30/5 wouldn't do anything for me. She didn't explain why she got the feeling that was the case.

I have a Verizon Flex bundle which is unfortunately being charged as 15/5 (which was the speeds that were advertised and admittedly got me to sign up), but the bill and the account management portal shows 10/2 being provisioned.

The building was built in 1989, and renovated in 2005. I suspect that FiOS came here quite early, maybe during those renovations. The tech installed a VDSL1 modem, from what I've read.

The only thing that turns my stomach a bit is that if 20/5 and 30/5 is actually truly available (the website seems to think so!) I don't see why Verizon can't at least attempt to provision me at the advertised tier (15/5).

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Well, the "technology" exists to certainly run those speeds, but vDSL like all DSL is subject to the limitations of the copper in the building -- and with a 1989 install, you could be suffering from some of that.   Did the reference you found on the website deal with your address specifically, or was it just an overview of MDU installations?   This could simply be a case of being handcuffed by the quality of the local building infrastructure.

If you're paying for 15/5, I can understand why you'd want that -- and absent that if it were me I'd certainly like to see some compensation in terms of reduced cost of service for a 10/2 installation that's not by my choosing.    Maybe that's a good topic to discuss with the customer advocate if you've been in touch with one.     At least it's not regular DSL.

rutoro
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the reply. 🙂

The website I was referring to is the availability website on http://verizon.com/fios when ordering FIOS. That's the one that says 10/2, 20/5 and 30/5 are available at my particular address.

At this point I'm starting to get used to the idea; the product is pretty good in all other respects. I've wasted a lot of time trying to get this fixed, and it usually takes a lot of time to even convince representatives that I'm not already provisioned at 15/5 (which they assume until I insist that they look further... they say "we don't even offer 10/2 anymore!").

I was mainly just wondering if there would be some specific technical reason that would cause 15/5 to not be available when 20/5 and 30/5 are, assuming they are actually available. If there's indeed a technical reason why 15/5 isn't possible and 20/5 is, then that is fine. However it really just seems like there's some kind of human error or oversight in Verizon not provisioning at least the lowest promised speed to all residences when higher speeds such as 20/5 are available.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@rutoro wrote:

Thanks for the reply. 🙂

The website I was referring to is the availability website on http://verizon.com/fios when ordering FIOS. That's the one that says 10/2, 20/5 and 30/5 are available at my particular address.

At this point I'm starting to get used to the idea; the product is pretty good in all other respects. I've wasted a lot of time trying to get this fixed, and it usually takes a lot of time to even convince representatives that I'm not already provisioned at 15/5 (which they assume until I insist that they look further... they say "we don't even offer 10/2 anymore!").

I was mainly just wondering if there would be some specific technical reason that would cause 15/5 to not be available when 20/5 and 30/5 are, assuming they are actually available. If there's indeed a technical reason why 15/5 isn't possible and 20/5 is, then that is fine. However it really just seems like there's some kind of human error or oversight in Verizon not provisioning at least the lowest promised speed to all residences when higher speeds such as 20/5 are available.

It could be that as you say in your area the offering is 10/2 or 20/5, and like was mentioned, it could be a wiring issue with your building, and 15/5 is not offered in your area. So if 20/5 can not be done because of existing wiring issues, you may be stuck. But I can see your point. Did you try to PM any of the VZ people referenced in the link to the thread contained in my first response. Perhaps they can get you a direct answer, and a resolution if they research it for you. I believe they are the tech type. I don't know if a PM link will work, but here it goes.

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage/tab/compose/note-to-user-id/36383

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage/tab/compose/note-to-user-id/45773

I did post a message in a place where Verizon is sure to see a reference to this post. Perhaps it can be tweaked, but you may be stuck.

rutoro
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for your ideas thus far!

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@rutoro wrote:

Thank you for your ideas thus far!

If someone sends you a private message the envelope on the top right of the page will turn gold and also show the number of new messages. I will give you and example.