FIOS ONE TV and Business Internet
db97

Running a small home business so required a Static IP which was only possible with Verizon Business using a G3100 Router and 300/300 Plan. But TV and Phone service is through Verizon Residential and they simply don’t talk to each other.

I called Residential to upgrade our STBs to FIOS ONE but was told that it wasn’t possible because they didn’t show that I had internet service unless the installer also installed a router. No amount of trying to explain the situation convinced the agent that we actually do have Verizon Internet and a Router.

Installer is coming next week.

Will I really need them to install a second Router to get FIOS ONE?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FIOS ONE TV and Business Internet
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

As stated in my first post, tweet @verizonsupport.  Give them a little bit of info about the issue.  They will reach back out to you, although I'm not sure of the method.  Probably a DM.

I haven't confirmed their specific FB page.  That looks like it.  You can try DM'ng them, again with a brief description of the issue. 

Once you connect with them, they will vector you to a private Verizon chat on their web site.  This isn't very difficult.

View solution in original post

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Welcome to the forums!   You're talking mostly to other users here.

I suspect most of the regular posters here have limited knowledge of business vs. residential services.  I know I can't help with business services.  You may have better luck with Verizon if you contact their social media support team.  You can do that by tweeting @verizonsupport or posting on their facebook page.  Their social media support team is often able to handle more complex issues than the front line support.

Please let us know how this issue gets resolved, as we users don't know anything beyond what gets posted here.

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Fios One needs a VZ router receiving Internet service from the same account. You cannot mix and match accounts. Do you have two ONTs or one ONT with two or more Ethernet ports?

db97

I currently have just one ONT which looks to have just one Ethernet port (Model # I-211M-K).

Also currently have Fios TV but using the older set top boxes (QIP7232, QIP-7100-1, etc.). So as of right now business internet and residential TV are being “mixed and matched” on two accounts

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yeah, that's an atypical setup. A field tech should swap out your ONT to one with at least two Ethernet ports. Then, you will need to order Internet on the residential account too in order to upgrade to Fios TV One.

I am sorry this may not help you, but this likely is the protocol.

db97

Agree that its atypical and very frustrating but it was mandated by Verizon when setting up the Static IP many years ago. Although with more people working at home it may start being more common?

I don’t have twitter so I also posted it on the Verizon Direct part of DLSReports and included my contact / account details. If I were to tweet, wouldn’t all that then be public?

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

VZ Direct will vector you to Twitter or facebook.  It's not what it used to be.

Once you connect with them, they will move to a secure, non-public chat to collect the details.

The need for a static IP is pretty rare.  The primary driver for it hosting servers.  Depending on what the server is, it is likely prohibited by the residential T&C's.

Depending on what your reasons for a static IP are, you might be able to replace it with DDNS on a residential account.   But it depends on what you're doing with the static IP and if any services violate the residential T&C's.  I'm not an expert on the T&C's, so if you're interested in switching to residential I suggest you look them up and read them to see if your usage is allowed.

db97

We have a Sever here that is accessed by a few employees in other States to use QuickBooks, access files, etc. We are just small business but so far it’s worked pretty well – the server is located in a private home. Not being that tech savvy we do have a outside IT company that set it up and helps manage it but the internal TV service is not part of it.

Could you please better explain what “VZ Direct will vector you to Twitter or Facebook. It's not what it used to be” means in more layman terms. I’m not anti-Twitter or Facebook but just don’t understand how they work in this context.

It remains my feeling that my issues has more to do with VZ bureaucracy than anything else since I do have VZ internet and the correct VZ router but I could be wrong.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon has a social media support team that often provides a higher level of support than the front line folk.  They monitor twitter and Facebook.  They used to monitor VZ Direct over on the other forum.  Now, when you post there, they will tell you to tweet or FB post to reach them.  That's why I said it's not what it used to be.

When  you do engage with them, they will vector you again to a private chat channel on a Verizon web site.

You are correct that your issue is all about how Verizon manages business and residential accounts.  Unless you can find another user who recently dealt with a similar setup, you're unlikely to get any useful information on the forums.  Even if you do, you'll likely need to reach out to Verizon to sort it all out.  Thus my recommendation to reach out to their social media support team.

I can't comment on if your server would be allowed under the residential T&C's.  I suggest you review them yourself.  If you can switch to residential, you'll likely save some money.  Note all services will be on one bill, which may or may not be a problem depending on how your business accounting works.  Residential IP addresses aren't fixed, but they don't change that often.  DDNS can be very helpful here; if you don't know what it is google or ask your IT guy.

Another option is to migrate to a cloud service and stop running stuff in someone's home.  If done properly, you'll be more secure and have lower maintenance costs.  Google Drive and Microsoft OneDrive are two examples of great cloud services for file sharing.  Again, a good IT person can help you understand this.

db97

Appreciate the continued effort to educate me. Don’t laugh but how would I contact them at either twitter or FB?

Do I just send a simple tweet to @ verizonsupport asking them to contact me privately? Or just send them a message here:

https://www.facebook.com/Fios/

0 Likes