FIOS ONT new installation what to expect?
MillikenMode
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi!

I'm hoping someone out there may have an answer or two. I'm having FIOS Internet and phone service installed in my condo unit in about a week from now. Verizon has already shipped the router and battery back up for what I believe is the ONT. 

A little history here. My condo is part of multi dwelling building, of which i'm on the botton floor.  Ducting for FIOS was installed throughout the complex about 4 years ago. My unit is ajcent to the main utility room were the FIOS" hub" is housed. 
My upgrade is both welcomed and needed as Verizon will be discontinuing servicing of copper lines leading into the complex sometime next year. 

Since the fiber lines coming in connect to a "hub" in the utilty room will an ONT need to be installed in my unit? I realize I've been provided a battery back up, but I just want to be sure.

If an ONT needs to be installed in my Unit, outside of being near an outlet where should one consider placing it? If the location of the ONT isn't that important I'll most likely keep it in the bedroom where the computer resides.

I need to install some form of wire ducting before intallation, how many lines can i expect to be concealing and what type of lines, ethernet, coaxial, phone?

I have been told with FIOS Phone the existing copper phone wires will still be utilized. That being said, would the ONT be carring the internet signal or would the FIOS internet line be coming from the "hub" in the utiltiy room?

I realize these question my seem a little disjointed, but I'm new to this so any clarificaiton would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks!

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FIOS ONT new installation what to expect?
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hello!

Most likely if they are going to install in a condo unit, they will be installing a fiber jack. These little white boxes are normally installed near the baseboard, and they look like this:

From here, they'll connect the fiber cable (yellow cable above) to the ONT (brought by the technician). 

The black cable you see coming into the picture above was fiber coming from outside. Most likely since there is already fiber in your building, the fiber going into the jack will most likely be the indoor kind (the tiny yellow cable). These indoor fiber cables are quite small (think the size of a spaghetti noodle). So cable management should be simple enough.

But yes, to answer your original question, you will need an ONT in your unit.

As for ONT placement, all FiOS service (TV, Phone, and Internet) go through the ONT. If you were getting stand alone Internet you can pretty much put the ONT anywhere that you want. For the phone service, the signal has to come from the ONT, so it might be helpful to put it near an existing phone jack. However if you use a wireless phone system and don't plan on using the wired jacks, you can put the ONT anywhere you like, and plug the wireless phone system directly into it. 

The ONTs themselves are pretty small, about the size of a router. Here is a photo of one of the indoor units, with the power supply next to it:

For the wire ducting, I would wait until your installation is finished to see how to route the cables. The yellow spaghetti fiber cables are quite delicate, any if they get pinched or bent in a wire duct it could break the cable. Just something to consider.

Also just a heads up, lots of the installations are completley up to the installer, and could be different from what I stated, but it should be pretty similar.

Best of luck, enjoy super fast Internet!

View solution in original post

JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hello!

Most likely if they are going to install in a condo unit, they will be installing a fiber jack. These little white boxes are normally installed near the baseboard, and they look like this:

From here, they'll connect the fiber cable (yellow cable above) to the ONT (brought by the technician). 

The black cable you see coming into the picture above was fiber coming from outside. Most likely since there is already fiber in your building, the fiber going into the jack will most likely be the indoor kind (the tiny yellow cable). These indoor fiber cables are quite small (think the size of a spaghetti noodle). So cable management should be simple enough.

But yes, to answer your original question, you will need an ONT in your unit.

As for ONT placement, all FiOS service (TV, Phone, and Internet) go through the ONT. If you were getting stand alone Internet you can pretty much put the ONT anywhere that you want. For the phone service, the signal has to come from the ONT, so it might be helpful to put it near an existing phone jack. However if you use a wireless phone system and don't plan on using the wired jacks, you can put the ONT anywhere you like, and plug the wireless phone system directly into it. 

The ONTs themselves are pretty small, about the size of a router. Here is a photo of one of the indoor units, with the power supply next to it:

For the wire ducting, I would wait until your installation is finished to see how to route the cables. The yellow spaghetti fiber cables are quite delicate, any if they get pinched or bent in a wire duct it could break the cable. Just something to consider.

Also just a heads up, lots of the installations are completley up to the installer, and could be different from what I stated, but it should be pretty similar.

Best of luck, enjoy super fast Internet!

KH-OrnEsh1
Moderator Emeritus

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.