FIOS ONT power supply replaced?
rotger
Enthusiast - Level 2

We had a service tech come for a different reason (problem at pole) and he went ahead and replaced the power supply unit for the old ONT (big white one that dates to when we first got FIOS in 2008).  I've replaced the lead-acid battery once (several years ago) to cure the beeping, so I was glad to have it changed.

The tech installed a new black power supply unit - Nokia part number 3MV00470AA - and disconnected the lead-acid battery.  He disconnected the power cord on the outside (going to the power outlet) and the plastic connector from the battery leads inside the old battery backup unit.

Unfortunately, I was not able to speak with him before he left and now I have several questions:

-  Does the new power supply unit also provide battery backup for our landline phone?  If so, how?  The green "battery" light on the ONT is on (not the one on the now dead battery backup unit).  Or, have I lost the battery backup feature for the phone?

-  I wish he had removed the old battery backup unit.  Can I do this myself?

Any responses would be appreciated.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FIOS ONT power supply replaced?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can get a UPS for the power supply so that it is powered during an outage. This has a few benefits. The entire ONT and even your router can be connected to the UPS for Internet access during an outage. Additionally, a UPS will be able to recharge itself and will engage automatically, versus burning through a pile of D batteries.

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

https://www22.verizon.com/wholesale/attachments/calendar/VPS-PA-BBU-Battery_Guide_12012016.pdf

Power reserves supplies or Battery Back Up Units keep your phone going only.

the difference with power reserves they use D cell batteries you can easily replace or you can turn the units off if you don’t want to use them.

rotger
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the response.  The new power supply appears to be the CyberPower unit pictured in the document. 

So, if I understand that document correctly, with a CyberPower unit I no longer have battery backup for my phone unless I purchase a "PowerReserve" unit.  What is frustrating is that I had a working and perferctly fine battery backup system in place, and Verizon removed it without telling me that to continue to have battery backup I would have to spend more with them and purchase something else.  That is truly devious.

jonjones1
Legend

@regtor1wrote:

Thanks for the response.  The new power supply appears to be the CyberPower unit pictured in the document. 

So, if I understand that document correctly, with a CyberPower unit I no longer have battery backup for my phone unless I purchase a "PowerReserve" unit.  What is frustrating is that I had a working and perferctly fine battery backup system in place, and Verizon removed it without telling me that to continue to have battery backup I would have to spend more with them and purchase something else.  That is truly devious.

I think what your reading is being misunderstood. Verizon is replacing the bulky lead battery BBU with new power reserves when they come out to fix or install ONT’s.

i believe the new one that was installed uses the D cell batteries which you can now just replace at a lower cost.

On our service even though we don’t use Verizon digital voice phone or any phone service from them we simply turned off the power reserve unit. The installer said he was required to put it on the line going from our wall outlet to the ONT. But like I said I turned it off.

I use a APC power unit (Very expensive) on all my computers and routers, printers, ONT, VoIP phones throughout our home. This power device lasts longer than any BBU or power reserves supplied by Verizon. 

You should be ok with what they did.

rotger
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the response.  To clarify, the tech did NOT install the PowerReserve unit with the D batteries.  The tech only installed a new power supply (the Nokia part number above, maybe it's a CyberPower?) and connected it to the old ONT box, and disconnected the existing battery backp unit.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't believe the power supply alone can provide battery backup to the phone line.

I'm feeling like I should complain to Verizon to at least get the PowerReserve unit sent to me so I can have battery backup for my landline again.

Oppie1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Same here. Verizon replaced the ONT and Power unit a few months ago. Evidently the nokia supply does not have any backup nor was I given any opportunity to give input at the time.image

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can get a UPS for the power supply so that it is powered during an outage. This has a few benefits. The entire ONT and even your router can be connected to the UPS for Internet access during an outage. Additionally, a UPS will be able to recharge itself and will engage automatically, versus burning through a pile of D batteries.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm feeling like I should complain to Verizon to at least get the PowerReserve unit sent to me so I can have battery backup for my landline again.

Don't bother with the PowerReserve.  It's useless.  It must be turned on manually during an outage and only powers phone service.  It does not use rechargeable batteries.  If you forget to turn it off when the power comes back, you'll need to replace the D-cells in a very short period of time.   Verizon charges $39.99 for it.  Buy a UPS instead.

Beta63
Enthusiast - Level 2

The same thing happened to me, a couple of weeks ago. Our power went out. When it came back up, we had no Verizon activity. It took two days for a technician to arrive, but he fixed it in about 5 minutes. I was happy that my TV, phone, and network were up, but then he removed the Power Adaptor and the Battery Backup. He only replaced the Power Adaptor.  I had to buy the battery backup for the new Power Adaptor, plus 12 D-Cell batteries.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Beta63 wrote:

I had to buy the battery backup for the new Power Adaptor, plus 12 D-Cell batteries.

If you can, return it.  It's a useless waste of money.  See my post above for details.