FIOS ONT to Powerline WAN
theBilliot
Enthusiast - Level 1

Did a quick search and didn't find this topic.  Apologies if this was answered elsewhere.

I've already been able to set the Verizon router (mi424wr rev i) into bridge mode and it's passing my ONT's connection to my own router so I work with my own DHCP, NAT, Wifi, etc.  Everything is working great so far.  But my end goal is to bypass the Verizon router entirely.

My ONT is set up in my garage.  My Verizon router set in my basement connected via Coax.  It is entirely impractical to run ethernet from the ONT to the basement.  My question is, can I have the ONT run ethernet to a powerline adapter that's in the garage - and from that have the powerline adapter in my basement then connect to my own router?

I already use powerlines in my home networking topology so I know they work great in my house.  My concern was if the powerline adapters would pose any sort of MAC addressing issues.  I was hoping for a definite answer before I called Verizon to have them switch the data connection from Coax to CAT5 - because worse case scenario is that it doesn't work and then I'll have to make another call to revert my work.  Any help or advice appreciated.

Desired topology below:

ONT -> (cat5) -> Powerline -> (electric wiring to basement) -> Powerline -> (cat5) -> WAN port of own router.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FIOS ONT to Powerline WAN
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

** UPDATE **

So after some testing, I can confirm that I could run my internet over powerline from the ONT. I also did some more testing, and it should almost always work. It dosen't affect MAC addresses and it does act as a dumb link, as you can see in the screenshot below, I connected my laptop to my router over powerline and the MAC showed up as the same.

Speeds were pretty awful, but I'm using powerline adapters from 2006, so I wasn't expecting much anyway.

This was tested on Netgear XE102 powerline adapters. But this should be the same results for all adapters.

The only problem I could see running into was if you use the same powerline adapters for your whole house. I had lots of conflicting errors when my other identical units tried to pair, they coulden't identify between the LAN or WAN and kept disconnecting. If you are going to use powerline, make sure your adapters for the ONT to the Router are completely seperate from the powerline adapters you use for your LAN.

Hope this helped Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes, this is possible.

Powerline adapters should act as a dumb bridge, so the MAC address would the be the same as the client on the other end even as if they were connected via an ethernet cable. Just be sure to double and triple check that the powerline adapters work good in your garage area as well, since it would be your main internet connection you would want it to be reliable.

Also, if you don't mind me asking, do you have Verizon TV service? If you have a Verizon set top box, you may still have to keep the Actiontec connected to your network for the Video On Demand an TV guide services (it can be attached as a client to your network, the internet dosen't have to go though it first).

If that is the scenario, DSL reports did an excellent tutorial on keeping the Set Top Boxes happy while using your own router:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/15992

However if you only have internet you can completely disregard that.

0 Likes
theBilliot
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks, I thought it should as well but was hoping for a definite answer from someone who's done this.  Based on search results online, you'd think no one has ever thought / tried this!

Well I'll take your advice and do some additional testing on the powerline throughput via the garage and then contact Verizon in a week or two.  I'll post with results when I get them!

And no, I don't have Verizon TV service.  If I did, it'd probably be easier to keep my current setup and work on a double bridge to get STBs working.  Good thinking though.

0 Likes
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Now I'm curious as well.

I will try some tests on my powerline adapters later today to see what would happen in a situation like this. I will post my results on this thread if it helps someone in the future. 

0 Likes
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

** UPDATE **

So after some testing, I can confirm that I could run my internet over powerline from the ONT. I also did some more testing, and it should almost always work. It dosen't affect MAC addresses and it does act as a dumb link, as you can see in the screenshot below, I connected my laptop to my router over powerline and the MAC showed up as the same.

Speeds were pretty awful, but I'm using powerline adapters from 2006, so I wasn't expecting much anyway.

This was tested on Netgear XE102 powerline adapters. But this should be the same results for all adapters.

The only problem I could see running into was if you use the same powerline adapters for your whole house. I had lots of conflicting errors when my other identical units tried to pair, they coulden't identify between the LAN or WAN and kept disconnecting. If you are going to use powerline, make sure your adapters for the ONT to the Router are completely seperate from the powerline adapters you use for your LAN.

Hope this helped Smiley Happy

theBilliot
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for testing this.  I've already considered the issue of the WAN connection not being detected properly, so I've placed an order for some additional powerline adapters that will be paired separately and placed in it's own group so as to not mess with the powerline LAN signals propagating throughout the rest of the adapters.

I'll update with more information and specs of my equipment if I can get this working.

0 Likes
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Great! Let us know how it goes. Hopefully this thread will help others in the future.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@theBilliot wrote:

My ONT is set up in my garage.  My Verizon router set in my basement connected via Coax.  It is entirely impractical to run ethernet from the ONT to the basement.  My question is, can I have the ONT run ethernet to a powerline adapter that's in the garage - and from that have the powerline adapter in my basement then connect to my own router?

Why do you say it's entirely impractical to run ethernet?  is the run more than 330 feet?  They make weatherproof ethernet cable and obviously there is a coax cable going into the basement already so it only be a ver small additional hole.
Just wondering
0 Likes
theBilliot
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm not sure if the run would be more than 330 ft. Obviously I would have to run the cable along the various walls and such...and I have a lot of room and walls in between the garage and the basement. Best case scenario would be that it would be an eyesore seeing a cable essentially snake through the house.

I could fish it through the walls instead, like how the current coax is done, but that's a major pain for me as I'm not proficient in that. There would be horizontal and vertical runs, going through fire blocks. At best it would end up taking a whole bunch of my time to do and likely leave holes in my walls that I'll need to re-spackle.

Plus the need to purchase a long length of ethernet cable as well as the tools to do this - not a deal breaker but not desirable. I feel like the simple purchase of $30 powerline adapters which are more or less plug-and-play is just the easiest solution.

0 Likes
theBilliot
Enthusiast - Level 1

Late response but haven't had the time to set this up until today.

The short answer is...IT WORKS!

Longer story below.

Called Verizon Tech Support and spoke to a nice gentleman who assisted in changing my ONT's MOCA connection to Ethernet.  Took about 10 minutes.  Already had my router set up to the ONT so I could see my router get assigned an IP immediately.  Verified this works before moving along.

I got two additional powerline adapters (TP-Link TL-PA4010) and paired them up separately.  This is important because if they are paired with other powerline adapters in the house, then the WAN and LAN connections gets confused. 

I set up one of the adapters in the garage.  It is an GFCI outlet and does not seem to affect it's speed or connectivity.  I connected it directly to the ONT now, removing the router for the time being.  Plugged in it's corresponding adapter in the basement where it is connected to my router's WAN port (NetGear WNDR4500 running DDWRT).

From there, it's pretty straightforward.  I use the router's LAN to connect to yet another Powerline adapter that is paired with various other ones I have placed around the house.  Everything works, everything gets a hardwired connection. 

Obviously this isn't for everyone.  For those who can live with Coax/moca, just Wifi, or able to successfully run ethernet, then this isn't necessary.  But it is good to know that Powerline is also a viable alternative.

addendum:

I want to state for the record that my house is new with newer wiring (built in 2013) which is one of the reasons we're hesitant to start drilling additional holes in the house to run cable when everything looks so nice right now.  The newer wiring may have helped with Powerline speeds.  YMMV.

0 Likes