FIOS Performance with Wireless Connections
SteveP2
Contributor - Level 2

Morning all,

I have done a fair amount of reading here regarding how to tweak the performance of my wireless connection. I have run the FIOS TCP Optimizer, and I have even download the TCP Optimizer. Everytime I tweak my registry I still come up with the same wireless speed, which in my case is about 12 meg upload/download. I can never seem to get better on the download side.

I have an Actiontec router, and I am running G on my wireless connection. Is this the best I can ask for, since I have read reports of getting closer to 20. Granted I am not going to hit 35 meg unless I am going to use a wired connection, but it should be better than 12 meg.

Thanks in advance for the help, suggestions, advice.

Steve

0 Likes
Re: FIOS Performance with Wireless Connections
NielsBohr
Enthusiast - Level 3

Steve,

What are your speeds when you're connected via ethernet to your router? Just trying to determine that it really is the wireless that is your bottleneck.

0 Likes
SteveP2
Contributor - Level 2

Well when connected via ethernet I am getting 35 meg upload/download speeds. I made a change to my wireless setup, going from WEP to WPA2 and that seems to have helped the upload side of the house. Now I am getting 16 meg upload but still sitting between 12-13 meg download.

Steve

0 Likes
NielsBohr
Enthusiast - Level 3

Does your router have different modes for accepting connections to 802.11a/b/g?  Try restricting to 'g' connections only.  When you mouse over the wireless icon in the system tray, what speed does it show?

0 Likes
SteveP2
Contributor - Level 2

I could restrict it to G only but not sure how that will help overall performance. It looks like I have quite a good wireless connection at this time. I am running Windows 7 RC, but this was happening with Vista and XP.

Steve

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
0 Likes
SteveP2
Contributor - Level 2

Yes I did, but in making some of the similar changes it either got worse or stayed the same.

0 Likes
NielsBohr
Enthusiast - Level 3

I wonder if it could be interference from other wireless networks or cordless phones?  You can use a tool like Net Stumbler or Inssider to see the channel and strengths of the other wireless networks in your vicinity.  I used Inssider and just walked around my house with my laptop in hand and found most networks were using channel 1, so I switched to 11.  You may need to play around with this as interference from cordless phones and other devices will not show up on the list.  BTW, if you have a wireless-N capable card in your laptop, you can check the 5 GHz range and probably see that it is free from interference from other networks.  That is the case for now since you obviously live in a Verizon FiOS neighborhood and the Verizon-issued routers are all 2.4 GHz.  The good thing is Verizon is probably unlikely to go replacing all their routers with 5GHz models so if you went and added a 5GHz band to your wireless network, you'd likely be all alone at that frequency in your neighborhood.

0 Likes
SteveP2
Contributor - Level 2

Funny you should say this since this is where my line of thinking was heading. Only one problem with this theory and that is my cordless phone is a 5 GHZ model, and I have my router on channel 11, which helped the disconnect issues when the cordless phone was introduced.

One thing...the router is next to my stereo receiver. I wonder is there is interference from this rather than the cordless phone. I am going to try the tools you suggested and see what I find. Wouldnt it be funny if this was all an interference issue. I was even thinking of getting a wireless N router.

Steve

0 Likes
SteveP2
Contributor - Level 2

Ok I have both NetStumbler and Inssider loaded on my PC but what am I truly looking for with these tools? I see connections from a couple of routers, including mine.

Thanks,

Steve

0 Likes