FIOS Quantum Router/Actiontec Swap - HP Laserjet Scanner not communicating
kw07624

Have HP Laserjet MFP M127f which is unable to communicate with local PC's for scanning function. Network printing is working fine from both connected PC's

Was all working fine with FIOS Actiontec router in place previously, just upgraded/swapped routers to Quantum and now have this condition, have exhausted all possible solutions I can think of.

Appreciate any suggestions/ideas.

0 Likes
Re: FIOS Quantum Router/Actiontec Swap - HP Laserjet Scanner not communicating
Capricorn1
Community Leader
Community Leader

The only thing that came to mind is that your internal LAN IP addresses might have changed. Maybe your internal LAN used to be on a different subnet (i.e., the old router used 192.168.0.xxx for addresses and the new one uses 192.168.1.xxx) and your printer isn't using DHCP to get its IP address. (I would think printing would fail, too, if that's the case unless there's some fallback multicast or broadcast request/response that's keeping that working.)

You've probably seen this support page then, but just in case you haven't.

Did you run the HP Print and Scan Doctor that page mentions? Did it do anything?

Did you try the uninstall/reinstall steps? That would be my next suggestion, too.

Did I mention I hate HP's driver software, and that's why I no longer own an HP PSCF myself? I'm not kidding. Not even a little bit. I used to have a HP PhotoSmart PSC 2610 that would regularly just become "permanently" temporarily unavailable until I uninstalled/reinstalled the software, which was a huge set of apps that took about an hour. That mother couldn't die quick enough. It may have had help.

0 Likes
GuardianHope
Enthusiast - Level 3

@kw07624 wrote:

Have HP Laserjet MFP M127f which is unable to communicate with local PC's for scanning function. Network printing is working fine from both connected PC's

Was all working fine with FIOS Actiontec router in place previously, just upgraded/swapped routers to Quantum and now have this condition, have exhausted all possible solutions I can think of.

Appreciate any suggestions/ideas.

This is actually a common problem with the FiOS Quantum Gateway as I researched it. Some people have issues and some do not. It's actually directly related to the type of DHCP server in use on the FiOS Quantum Gateway. 

Please try the solution here: https://forums.verizon.com/t5/Fios-Internet/The-Quantum-Gateway-is-Perhaps-the-Worst-Router-We-Have-...

Also of note: Do know that with some networked printers you have to "re-add" them to your PC. This is quite common with my older Canon Color Laser printers as well as my MX870. 

0 Likes
Capricorn1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@GuardianHope wrote:

[...snip...]

This is actually a common problem with the FiOS Quantum Gateway as I researched it. Some people have issues and some do not. It's actually directly related to the type of DHCP server in use on the FiOS Quantum Gateway. 

Please try the solution here: https://forums.verizon.com/t5/Fios-Internet/The-Quantum-Gateway-is-Perhaps-the-Worst-Router-We-Have-...

Also of note: Do know that with some networked printers you have to "re-add" them to your PC. This is quite common with my older Canon Color Laser printers as well as my MX870. 

I got into the habit of setting my printers up with static IPs. Various manufacturer's drivers and software couldn't find the printers if the DHCP gave them a different address. Most DHCP servers seem to have some affinitiy to giving out the same IPs to the same devices (and some are smart enough to allow DHCP addresses to be assigned permanently to a device by MAC address), so it didn't happen often. Using a static IP prevents that from being a factor.

Except for that particular HP printer I mentioned before, that seemed to prevent any printers going AWOL. I have an older HP laser printer that's never had an issue disappearing. It's software and driver is about 1/4 the size of the one the inkjet printer used, too. (To be expected somewhat since the laser printer doesn't have scan/fax capability.)

0 Likes