FIOS Quantum Speed
dominik12
Enthusiast - Level 2

OK ... so does this new Quantum Speed come with an upgraded (N-Speed) modem for free? If not ... then this speed upgrade is a ruse as the wireless portion of the modems you provide are only capable of G-Speed! It'll never give you 30/20Mbps let alone 50/50 Mbps! AND do you actually tell the customer that signs up of this issue? I paid for 30/20 Mbps until I ran a "Speedtest.net" test on my system. When I contacted the Technicians, I was informed that I'd have to rent out one of your modems for $10/mo EXTRA to attain the speed I was paying for. Customer beware!!

0 Likes
Re: FIOS Quantum Speed
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

Actually the most recent version of the Actiontec (Rev I - that's the letter i) is an N wireless router.  However if you read the fine print (and look at Verizon's speed test) it is only specified for wired, not wireless (and of course is not guaranteed just like any other home Internet service).

I have a REV I and it was sent at no charge and no monthly fee (I have 50/25).  And just to be clear, Verizon does not have modems, they are routers and AFAIK they don't rent them on a monthly basis.

dominik12
Enthusiast - Level 2

Interesting response. So ... have you run speedtest to ensure you're getting a wireless 50/25? If not, please do. As for Modem vs Router ... I'm using the "modem" vernacular to separate out the router (wired) portion of the router. Yes ... I connect an AC router into the router portion of the Verizon router in order to get the higher wireless speed. Without doing that, the Verizon router is INCAPABLE of attaining a 50Mbps ... or even a 30Mbps wireless speed!

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@dominik12 wrote:

Interesting response. So ... have you run speedtest to ensure you're getting a wireless 50/25? If not, please do. As for Modem vs Router ... I'm using the "modem" vernacular to separate out the router (wired) portion of the router. Yes ... I connect an AC router into the router portion of the Verizon router in order to get the higher wireless speed. Without doing that, the Verizon router is INCAPABLE of attaining a 50Mbps ... or even a 30Mbps wireless speed!

The REV I is an N cabable router, I believe. Verizon does offer N routers, and I, too, have never heard of them "renting" them. They either provide one with your service (as called for), or you can opt to buy one from them.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@dominik12 wrote:

Verizon provide you, for free, a router that is capable of handling your package speed when connected by wire.  As an adjunct they come with wireless capability which in the past has ben G rated but on the new routers is N rated.  If your package was 100+ they would have shipped you a new, free, router that would be 1G and wireless N.  Verizon don't really support wireless access so you are somewhat on your own.  Unless you set your wireless device right on top of the router you are very unlikely to ever achieve anywhere near the max wireless speed advertised for the wireless signal.  In addition the wireless side of the Verizon provided routers appears to be somewhat weak  which is why most people install their own router of choice behind them.  In reality the only speedtest result that verizon will accept from you is a wired connection one.

Annoyed100

I should have read this first.I just upgraded and do not see any difference in the speed at all

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

FWIW, I have the 75/35 plan and I get those speeds or better via WiFi via my Actiontec Rev I router.  That is I get it on devices that are capable of those speeds via 80211.n.

My Windows 7 laptop sees 75/35+ via Ethernet or WiFi.  My iPhone 5 shows ~45 mb/s up and ~33 down.

The conclusion, for me, is that it takes a proper alignment of the stars to get max speed via WiFi.  A hardwired connection is much more predictable.

0 Likes