Re: FIOS Router - USB Port to Hookup Hard Drive
JCN1908
Enthusiast - Level 3

Confirmed:  As of 4/15/2014 no firmware upgrade.  They are just not going to do it per the above discussion.  Move on to one of the other solutions.  Actiontel could save 5 cents per router by just dropping the ports!  Who charges any device with their router anyway.

0 Likes
FairfaxUser

This is really pathetic that the USB ports are useless for anything else but charging.

So not shared HDD on the router, not ever printer can be connected to it? (http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Connecting-USB-Printer-Server-to-Fios-Wireless-Router/td-...

Maybe I'll use this port to power my ChromeCast.

Talk about near monopoly in this sector.

0 Likes
11D_Universe1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm responding from the future.  It's 2014 and they've not activated the ports.

BTW, for the guy who is posting in the year 2010, you can unfriend Tom Anderson...

0 Likes
Traben

When will the firmware be updated? I think its time fore Verizon to turn this (almost) necessity on with everyone trying to share files on the home network. Turning on all comouters for networking is not ideal anymore. I am considering moving to Cox where all services are cheaper, quality is same for residential purposes and you can use your own router. First you pay verizon a monthly fee and then you can't use the router for more than its traditional purpose,

If firmware is available, please advise.

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
CaptainSTX
Contributor - Level 3

Be careful what you wish for.

USB drives connected to a router result in low speed data transfer connections.   12 Mbps write and 20 Mbps read would be typical.  Newer routers with more powerful architecture can do somewhat better.  Connecting using WiFi only makes it worse.  

If you really want to share files, back up computers, streamj video buy a NAS and plug it into an Ethernet port.   NAS devices start in the neighborhood of $100 for the device plus the cost of purchasing the HDs to populate them.

I can understand Verizon's reluctance to add this feature as it would require additional support on their end helping users get the feature working with only a marginal benefit to users.

If you want centralized file storage purchase the correct solution,  which is a NAS.

And if you think USB  file storage creates problems connecting a printer and getting it to work all the time is an even bigger problem.   The best solution is connecting your printer using Ethernet to the router so all devices can print either using their own Ethernet connection or by connecting to the router using WiFi.   The next best solution is having a printer that can connect to your router using its own WiFi.

ED110

Great idea do you have a quick $100 bill I could have, good idea fairy.

0 Likes
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes