FIOS SPEED 150/35 How do you measure.
jeanneMH

How do I see what I am realy getting.   I questioned when installer was here on 5/7 how i can see if i'm getting 150/35 as he quetioned that setup himself.  We did speed test and he said all is good.. however i just did speed tests myself.. and find this 4.54 mb/s and

16.11 mb/s.. this sounds totally wrong?   Everything was installed from verizon yesterday.. this disturbs me.  However, not knowing truly how to measure this I wanted to check before I got on the phone with them. ( have made at least a dozen calls about this service to set it up, so not confident in phone support).

I've read that you have to be 'wired' to get this spped, but somehow the numbers I am getting seem reddiculous compared to what I was told I was getting and what I am paying for.

Advise?

Thank you.

0 Likes
Re: FIOS SPEED 150/35 How do you measure.
Hubrisnxs
Legend

make sure you are hardwired to the router

test your speed at speedtest.verizon.net

if your speed isn't close to what you are supposed to get, hit the analysis link on the results page, and then cut and paste your results here. 

you should be close if not over 150/35

if your experience is slower than 150 on a wireless connection, then you probably have a wireless signal issue, or interference. you can fix that in the router.   open a browser, and go to http://192.168.1.1

user name is admin.  and the password is most likely the serial number found on the service tag of your VZ router unless you changed it. Once you login succesfully, go to the top and hit wireless, then on the left basic security.   then go to option 3 which is channel  1, 6 and 11 and are the only channels you should try.

So it will likely be set to auto, change it to 11 and put the check for keep settings even after reboot (Directly under the channel) and then hit apply.  after you hit apply,  test your connection out, if you notice a difference, leave it like that until the problem happens again, and if it happens again, go back into the router, and try channel 6,     test it out.  and then finally 1 if the first two don't work.

Also take a look at page 2 of Actiontec's Wireless PDF File.  It gives you some idea's with regards to position and orientation of where the router sits and how it can best be positioned for maximum coverage.

http://support.actiontec.com/doc_files/MI424WR_Rev(all)_Wireless_Networking_Guide.pdf

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are your results in Megabytes (MB/s) a second or are they in Megabits (Mbps) per second? If you're getting 16.5MB/s you're pretty close to the 150Mbps limit by about 2 Megabytes. On the upload if you're getting about 6MB/s, you're close by about a Megabyte as well. You do need to be hardwired as even the best of Wireless N routers struggle with that kind of speed without teaming two radios together on different bands.

Post up a speed test for us to see. Also, ensure your ONT is set up with Ethernet to your router and you have an ActionTec MI424WR Rev G (Rev. I don't think supports Gigabit unless they do?) and your PC also has a Gigabit NIC. All three of those critiria must be met for 150Mbps. In addition, while not too much of a reqirement your PC should be modern enough to not buckle under the load (CPU) generated by 150Mbps of traffic and the software must be optimized to maintain the speed (Anti-virus, TCP/IP Stack).

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@Smith6612 wrote:

(Rev. I don't think supports Gigabit unless they do?)

Rev. I is indeed gigabit.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Anti-Phish wrote:

@Smith6612 wrote:

(Rev. I don't think supports Gigabit unless they do?)

Rev. I is indeed gigabit.

Thanks for clearing that up for me 🙂

0 Likes
MrTantrum
Enthusiast - Level 3

Another good external test site is http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

I currently have 35/35 FiOS but routinely get 42/35 measurements here even though the Verizon test side shows significantly different numbers at times.

0 Likes
jeanneMH

it is Mpbs and clearly there is an issue, as my iphone looses the connection constantly.  The reouter was installed with my fios and i have no choice apparently in where it ws set up.  I wanted it setup downstairs, however was told it is better upstairs as the ginal goes down better.   I just tested and i get 13.055 mpbs download and 8.28 upload.  I was not happy with where the router was installed, however, withou really knowing, i accpeted the installers choise as the right choice.  Do i have options in this matter to have them come back and move the router?

PCs in the next room next to the sspeed is 40/25.. wireless.  Since we are mostly wireless what is the max I would expect to get on a wireless with the pc right next to the router?  These are all new very powerful laptops.

Several posts have said to check ONT?  what is that?

thanks.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The max I have personally ever seen on a Wireless N radio in a single direction would be a sustained 98Mbps on a 20Mhz channel on a 144Mbps Theoretical Link in an area with absolutely no wireless traffic nearby on the 2.4Ghz band. This is using decent equipment on both ends, obviously not run of the mill/common gear. More like big boy Wireless AP and a somewhat expensive Intel WLAN NIC. The speeds did start to drop off rather quickly once the machine started to leave the general area of the AP, and fell down to 1MB/s before totally halting due to too many errors in the wireless link. It remained connected but failed to pass data (which was with an RSSI of -78dB through several walls and some good distance, very bad and was really 20% signal). 40Mhz? I've seen it get very close to 180Mbps but that is a harder feat to accomplish and the signal quits working under less distance. Again, you're dealing with more expensive, quality gear that isn't commonly used. 5Ghz? That drops off very fast due to obvious reasons but the speeds were seen as roughly the same. One or two walls later, nothing despite the signal still being seen. AP or laptop could effectively speak with each other to establish any communication away from remaining connected.

On an ActionTec? I can't specifically say what the Rev. G and the Rev. I are capable of doing. There's just a sparce amount of information out there. From what I see the Rev. I can do 300Mbps theoretical in 40Mhz mode, which to me suggests in 20Mhz mode it is very capable of running at 144Mbps theoretical. Not sure what radio the Rev. G has but people are saying it does either 65Mbps or 130Mbps based on what wireless mode you run it in, but I'm posiitve it has the same chipset the Rev. I has in it so those are most likely incorrect values coming off my memory.

None the less, you'll find it very hard to accomplish 150Mbps consistently on a Wireless connection. A Gigabit Ethernet connection or a teamed 100Mbps connection is almost certainly required to any capable device. Wireless can do it but you're talking a multi-AP setup and/or some radios that can simultamiously operate in both bands and treat both spectrums as one network. Gets complex from there. MoCa, while it is capable of carrying 150Mbps isn't up to par on the Verizon service yet for that kind of bandwidth. You'll find it maxes around 100Mbps when pushed to the limit despite a theoretical 200Mbps+ connection.

As to what the ONT is, that's the big unit that Verizon installed when FiOS was put in, and is what converts the fiber signal into something more readily usable by devices in your home such as telephones, your router, and any TV appliances such as Set Top Boxes and TV tuners.

0 Likes