FIOS Second Network -- Route Settings
Bill165

I'm new to setting up the Actiontec router to support a second subnet.  First question is do I need a second router or can I add a 192.168.2.1 subnet and connect a PC directly to one of the Actiontec Ethernet interfaces?   I attempted to do so and assigned a static IP address to a PC but with no success.  I wanted to get a PC up and running through the Actiontec before I committed to buying a new router.

Secondly, what should I use for the Actiontec Route Settings for the following.  Please correct where I might be wrong:

Name:

Destination: 0.0.0.0 -- can this be more specific?  Can I point this to the 192.168.1.1 (default) or other subnets for example?

Netmask:  255.255.255.0 assuming a /24 subnet

Gateway: 192.168.2.1

With the above settings I get a "Not Applicable" status for the route.

Hope you can help.

Bill

0 Likes
Re: FIOS Second Network -- Route Settings
tns
Master - Level 2

really pushing it with one router.  Using commercial switches its not unusual to have 192.168.0.x and 192.168.1.x as a single network.  Mask is 255.255.254.0 in such cases.  But the actiontec routers probably can not handle that.

0 Likes
weedeater1
Contributor - Level 3

I think you'll need two routers. The second one points to the first as its gateway.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

wouldn't vlans be a good solution here ?

Another user found a good way to create a vlan,  

does this work for you?

For use with MI424WR Rev A-D, Firmware 4.0.16.1.56.0.10.11)

creating a VLAN, and dedicating one Ethernet
port on the MI424WR’s built in switch for its use.

Part 1 – Creating the VLAN Ethernet Interface
1. Login to the BHR and navigate to ‘My Network’ then ‘Network Connections’
2. At the bottom of the ‘Rule Name’ column click the red ‘Add’
3. Select the underlying device, normally, ‘Network (Home/Office)’ and click ‘Next’
4. Assign the VLAN an ID, can be any number between 1 and 4094 and click ‘Next’
5. On the Summary, add a check-mark for ‘Edit the Newly Created Connection’ and
click ‘Finish’
6. On the new connection, at Internet Protocol, select ‘Use the following IP Address’
and enter a LAN IP address for this interface
a. (example) IP Address – 10.0.0.1
b. (example) Subnet Mask – 255.255.255.0
7. At DNS Server, select ‘Use the following DNS Server Addresses’
a. (example) Primary – 4.2.2.1
b. (example) Secondary – 4.2.2.2
8. At IP Address Distribution, select ‘DHCP Server’
a. (example) Start IP Address – 10.0.0.2
b. (example) End IP Address – 10.0.0.254
c. (example) Subnet Mask – 255.255.255.0
9. Click ‘Apply’ at the button of the page to save the configuration
10. Back in ‘Network Connections’, select the new rule to edit it, it may be named ‘Ethernet 2’, rename it ‘VLAN x’ (x = the VLAN ID number) if you wish, and click
‘Apply’ to save the change

Part 2 – Dedicating the Ethernet Port on the Switch
11. In ‘Network Connections’ again, click the ‘Advanced’ button
12. In the ‘Network (Home/Office)’ section click ‘Ethernet’ to edit it
13. Click the ‘Settings’ button
14. On ‘4 Ports Ethernet Switch’ select ‘Show’
15. Open and edit the port (1-4) that you want to assign the VLAN to
16. In ‘Port Settings’ change the ‘Ingress Policy’ to ‘Tagged (Add VLAN Header)’
17. In the field ‘Default VLAN ID’ enter the same “VLAN ID” number that was
assigned to the VLAN in Step #4, “Part 1 - Creating the VLAN Ethernet Interface”
18. Click ‘Apply’, and at the warning, click ‘Apply’ again
19. The VLAN ID should be displayed in the ‘PVID’ column for the Ethernet port that
was selected for use by the VLAN
20. Click ‘Apply’ on ‘Configure Ethernet’, then ‘Apply’ for ‘Ethernet Properties’
21. This should leave you at ‘Network Connections’, you are Finished
The VLAN is created and assigned to the specific Ethernet port that was selected. The switch’s three remaining Ethernet ports will behave as they always have, but any
device connected to the port dedicated to the VLAN, will be on a different network, and using a different IP address range.

If there is a desire to prohibit traffic between the two networks, rules can be created in Advanced Filtering (Firewall Settings section) to accomplish this.

also see 

http://it-erate.com/verizon-fios-actiontec-mi424wr-router-work-multiple-vlan/

0 Likes
Bill165

Thanks to those who have replied thus far.  Looks like I'm really inexperienced with this unit since a couple of config attempts have rendered my Actiontec uselessand had to reset to factory defaults in both cases.  I attempted to use the suggested VLAN instructions, but after applying the settingsfor my new VLAN config the default management 192.168.1.1 address dissappeared.  I had to hold the reset to restore it to factory defaults.

Note that there might need to be another step between 1 and 2.  After hitting the "Add" in Step 1 the following list is provided.  I actually forget which option broke my router but I suspect it was the VLAN Interface one:

- Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet (PPPoE) Connect to the Internet using a PPP tunnel over the Ethernet protocol.
 - Network Bridging Connect separate network interfaces to form one seamless LAN.
 - VLAN Interface Connect to an external virtual network.

Also note that my Actiotec device is as follows:

Firmware Version: 20.19.8

Model Name: MI424WR-GEN2

Hardware Version: F

0 Likes