FIOS Speed in Columbia, MD - After 8PM - Anyone else have same issues? Its down to less than 1MB!
Pheywood

Anyone else suffering awful speeds post 8PM in the Columbia MD area?

Seems to dip below 1MB on speed checkers and in fact time out on Verizons very own speed test.

Any help, appreciated

0 Likes
Re: FIOS Speed in Columbia, MD - After 8PM - Anyone else have same issues? Its down to less than 1MB
guy216

Mine seems to be cutting out entirely ever 15 minutes. I don't know what's happening

0 Likes
Re: FIOS Speed in Columbia, MD - After 8PM - Anyone else have same issues? Its down to less than 1MB
Chunkymunky1
Enthusiast - Level 2
Service in greenbelt MD is completely out. Customer service via phone hangs up after ten minute hold. Happened to be 3x now. Verizon is dropping the ball.
0 Likes
Nero2

My FIOS internet and phone have been going up and down for several weeks now.  Thinking it was only temporary or possibly related to recent storms I finally got fed up and reported it July 10, 2014.  First they thought it was a problem at my home - signals back and forth were good (it was up) so not at my house.  Then they said there was an "outage" in my area - they would take care of it.  Got a message that said all was OK.

It continues to go up and down... a person came out - checked connections to my home - all is well.  Said he would have someone monitor my connections - that was 4 days ago - now I keep getting messages that there is an outage and will be repaired in some predetermined time that they post... then the service goes up, then it goes down, I get another message... on and on this has been going.

Trying to get through to anyone who knows anything is impossible and extremely frustrating.  The person who came out left me his card with a phone number - a call to him resulted in learning that he will be out for thenext week.  I want to scream!!!  I work from home and rely on this system to do my work... for now all I can do is use my iPhone more expenses and slow as molasses without Wi-Fi.

0 Likes
Nero2

I just spend over 45 minutes on the phone with Verizon support and learned that there is a "a group outage that affects hundreds of people with an estimate of repair to be 11 pm tonight".  I said that I no longer knew what to believe about the information I get from Verizon anymore.  No one seems to know what's going on or if they do they are not telling their customers or even each other.  This is not the way to treat their customers.

0 Likes
nycplayboy78
Contributor - Level 1

Yeah I am in Northern Virginia (Fairfax County) and yesterday my FiOS internet was just straight bugging out...**bleep**??!! Now I am reading on all the tech news sites and blogs that Verizon now matches downloads and uploads. Soooooo I am on the Quantum 150/65 package and when I went to test both Speedtest (DC) and Verizon FiOS (Reston, VA) I get roughly the same results 153/74 give or take a few kilobytes.....Hmmmmmm....I thought I should be getting 150/150 but I digress....SIGH....

0 Likes
Kestrel3
Contributor - Level 2

According to Verizon phone reps, Verizon was performing server maintenance last night that caused internet to slow to a crawl or barely work at all for several hours.   Seems to be fixed now.

0 Likes
Nero2

Yes.  They said they were working on a server somewhere last night but I have been having problems for the past 3 or more weeks!!  I first reported my problem on July 10th - they tested my signal from the office and said everything was fine - and it was - at that time. They closed the ticket and that was that.  But it kept going in and out so I called again.  They sent out a technician - he checked everything - all was well, then it went out but it came back so he saw the problem - he said he called someone and that they would monitor it.  Fine.  That was last week.  I started getting notifications that there was an "outage in my area" and they gave me times when it would be up.  Problem there was my service would come back before the time - then maybe go out again - so the notifications were for all intents and purposes meaningless.  I kept track of the ups and downs as best I could to try to help them figure this out because when I called no one seemed to know what was going on... and calling is extremely painful - a lot of waiting time and rinky dink music in you ear.

Bottom line - there is a tremendous disconnect between the office and the field - they do not talk to each other.  No one tells the customer what is going on and when they do you don't know if they are telling you the truth because they contradict themselves during the conversation - "no, there are no outages" and then "oh yes, they had to replace a router last night so there was an outage that affected hundreds of people" - and when I asked about what happened last week - no one knows..

I explained that my FIOS phone wasn't working either - they were surprised!!??  How can they be - it's a voice over internet phone service - how can they not know that???  That's what the package deal is!!!  When the internet is down so is the phone.  I can say it was rather difficult to have a phone service go in and out while you are talking to your own clients on the phone - it does not instill confidence in your work and I don't know how much business I may have lost with my phone down.

0 Likes
Pheywood

And again, getting a whopping 0.5MB tonight.......

This is a shambles, and seems to be happening at the same time most nights now

0 Likes
Nero2

I feel your pain... I'm over near Olney by the way...

At least you are connected but you never know... mine started out with slow service then complete crashes.

I think they are doing some major switching around with their routers either because of the planned upgrades or the failure of their equipment - either way they should at least be informed when you call and they should be straightforward with their customers.

I asked about refunds for the days my service was going in and out - they told me I had to wait until they were completed with the work tonight at 11 pm.  That is a brush off in the hopes I won't call them back.

0 Likes