FIOS TV + INTERNET AND PHONE
GeNX11
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi All, im curious as to if i can use the LAN cable from the ONT to my own router without affecting the FIOS TV ( i am aware on demand wont work - dont use this). 

On checking my Router (IMG ATTACHED) i have a COAX coming into the router from the ONT which is located outside my house.

The verizon tech mentioned if i have FIOS TV i will need to keep the verizon router and cannot use my own. 

Would anyone advise if they have tried and got this to work without affecting the TV.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FIOS TV + INTERNET AND PHONE
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can use your own (see the thread onusing your own router).

But you will also need a moca adapter because the STBs need Internet access for guide purposes. Can't watch anything or record without the guide.

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

No it won't affect the video. Just leave the coax connected at ONT and STB. There is still RF coming out of the ONT even if you data is on ethernet. 

Just run your ethernet from ONT to your router and call Verizon to change it from MoCA to ethernet. Sometimes the DHCP needs to be released but they should also be able to help with that. 

If you do at some point want TV listings and on demand to work you will have to pick up a MoCA adapter. 

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can use your own (see the thread onusing your own router).

But you will also need a moca adapter because the STBs need Internet access for guide purposes. Can't watch anything or record without the guide.