FIOS TV/internet/phone installation
cdanl05
I've contracted for installation of FIOS triple play.  In my house, there are existing coax runs for TV from the roof and for internet through the attic. I've provided a panel on a basement wall for mounting the ONT and the battery backup unit.  Will the installer use the existing lines (from the roof and the attic?) or run new lines from the basement entry point? If new lines, is cost included in the fees (waived) for internet installation and activation?  I'd really like to know, because if new cable runs are needed, I'd rather do them myself before the installer arrives.
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FIOS TV/internet/phone installation
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@cdanl05 wrote:
I've contracted for installation of FIOS triple play.  In my house, there are existing coax runs for TV from the roof and for internet through the attic. I've provided a panel on a basement wall for mounting the ONT and the battery backup unit.  Will the installer use the existing lines (from the roof and the attic?) or run new lines from the basement entry point? If new lines, is cost included in the fees (waived) for internet installation and activation?  I'd really like to know, because if new cable runs are needed, I'd rather do them myself before the installer arrives.

Presumably the coax line that comes from the roof terminates somewhere in the house.  The installer will typically run a coax line to a splitter and connect one side of the splitter to the router and the other to somewhere where you have a coax connection.
What is the internet access that comes through the attic? and where does it go to?  The internet access the installer will provide will be a cat 5/6 cable from the router to connect a single device, or connection point,  in your house ( I believe they expect that device to be somewhat convenient to the router. .  What you do with that connection is up to

When they did my install they brought the fiber thru the wall into the baement and mounted the ont/battery there, than ran a coax 30 feet to where my old directv setup had terminated and mounted a plitter there with one connection going to a multi port coax hub (thay provided)  that fed the house, and the other connected to the router which I then connected an ethernet cable to to feed my own gigabit/wireless n router on my own network.

View solution in original post

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@cdanl05 wrote:

Presumably the coax line that comes from the roof terminates somewhere in the house.  The installer will typically run a coax line to a splitter and connect one side of the splitter to the router and the other to somewhere where you have a coax connection.
What is the internet access that comes through the attic? and where does it go to?  The internet access the installer will provide will be a cat 5/6 cable from the router to connect a single device, or connection point,  in your house ( I believe they expect that device to be somewhat convenient to the router. .  What you do with that connection is up to

When they did my install they brought the fiber thru the wall into the baement and mounted the ont/battery there, than ran a coax 30 feet to where my old directv setup had terminated and mounted a plitter there with one connection going to a multi port coax hub (thay provided)  that fed the house, and the other connected to the router which I then connected an ethernet cable to to feed my own gigabit/wireless n router on my own network.

armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@cdanl05 wrote:
... In my house, there are existing coax runs for TV from the roof and for internet through the attic. I've provided a panel on a basement wall for mounting the ONT and the battery backup unit.  Will the installer use the existing lines (from the roof and the attic?) or run new lines from the basement entry point? If new lines, is cost included in the fees (waived) for internet installation and activation? ... if new cable runs are needed, I'd rather do them myself before the installer arrives.

I'm trying to picture your setup.  I suspect that your earlier cable provider ran an aerial connection (perhaps into the attic) and distributed video and data from there.  Also that your modem was located in the attic and connected to a router, and then on to your various Internet locations.  This is my best guess based your post, but feel free to add details and corrections and I will try to respond.  If the above is indeed the case, then ...

You should run at least one each (more is always better) RG6 (or better) coax and Cat 5e (or better) from the attic or exterior walls down to the basement panel where the ONT will reside.  You can also use Cat 5e for phone lines.  Of course you must have 110 AC available in a non-GFI receptacle in the basement convenient to the panel.  Alternatively (and with considerably more difficulty), you could "home run" all coax, phone, and network cables from your selected locations to the main panel.  This is perhaps the "ideal" rig, but it can get a bit involved.

If you have these cables in place when the install occurs, then you will most likely be prepared for any eventuality, and getting setup will only require standard splitters, couplers, network cables (RJ-45), phone jacks (RJ-11) etc.  Note also that, based on my experience, the  VZ techs know what they're doing, and they'll usually be more than happy to make you more than happy.  The guys who worked on my setup seemed to get a kick out of it (and my requirements were rather complex).

0 Likes
cdanl05

Thanks -- that's helpful.  I've found no hint of a coax splitter in any of the Verizon info I've reviewed.  My TV and internet connections are colocated now and will not move.  Did Verizon charge you for the cable run from the ONT to the splitter?

0 Likes
cdanl05

Good information -- thank you both.  I'm resolving to run RG6 and RJ45 from the point in the basement where I expect the ONT and BBU to be located to a dual (coax and data) wall plate, from which the installer can go to the router and the STB -- and count on the good will of the installer to fix anything I've forgotten or screwed up.

0 Likes