Re: FIOS, TiVo, and Airport: No need for Verizon router?
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

yeah, they will know what it means.

When a router is connected to the service. it is assigned an IP lease by dhcp. Then the Verizon network just continues to look for that router/IP address combination. If you just pull their router out and connect yours up right away, it wont work because the system is still looking for the other router. Therefore you have to "break" the lease. Then the service will assign a new IP to the next device that it see's (your router).

You can do this on your own by disconnecting one router and then wait at least 2 hours before connecting another router. Its just quicker to call them and ask them to break the lease.

boboosta

Verizon installed FIOS, and I have been successfully using my Airport in bridge mode via Verizon's router. I am ready to remove Verizon's router now and connect my Airport directly to the ONT.

My Airport settings includes a "Renew DHCP Lease" button. Is that the same as "breaking the DHCP lease?" I have clicked the Renew DHCP Lease button, but my Airport still says I am not connected to the internet (even after resetting my Airport). Do I still have to call Verizon (or leave the router disconnected for 2 hours)? 

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

@boboosta wrote:

Verizon installed FIOS, and I have been successfully using my Airport in bridge mode via Verizon's router. I am ready to remove Verizon's router now and connect my Airport directly to the ONT.

My Airport settings includes a "Renew DHCP Lease" button. Is that the same as "breaking the DHCP lease?" I have clicked the Renew DHCP Lease button, but my Airport still says I am not connected to the internet (even after resetting my Airport). Do I still have to call Verizon (or leave the router disconnected for 2 hours)? 

Nope, not the same thing. That just refreshes a connection that has already been established. You need to first establish the first connection before that will work. Since your service is up and running using the Verizon router, I would simply leave it untill your ready for bed. Then turn the Verizon router off over night. Then when you get up in the morning, simply connect the airport and turn it on. You'll be ready to go at that point. Just remember to make sure that the Airport is set for DHCP (this should be the default setting, if not sure, just reset the airport to factory defaults)

0 Likes
boboosta

Never mind. I found how to release my DHCP lease immediately here:

http://elektronkind.org/2007/09/verizon-fios-with-only-a-apple-airport-extreme

The steps are:

1. Log in to the Actiontec’s web interface (typically by going to http://192.168.1.1/)

2. Select Network, click on “Ethernet (Broadband)” and its edit icon. Down the page, you’ll see a button labled “Release”. It’s important to release the IP address VZ’s network has given the Actiontec, or it’ll refuse to allot one to your Airport Extreme once you bring that up in its place.

3. Immediatly turn off the Actiontec. Remove the “WAN” ethernet cable from it, and plug it into the “WAN” port of your Airport base station. Turn the Airport on.

4. The Airport base station should boot up and request an IP from VZ’s DHCP server. Speaking of which, the “Internet Connection” setting in the Airport should be “DHCP” and not “PPPoE”. VZ no longer uses PPPoE on its FiOS lines.

5. Configure your Aiport wireless network as you see fit and you’re done. No more Actiontec.

0 Likes
boboosta

This worked (clicking Release Lease on the ActionTec Router's settings). I am up and running now!

Thanks for your help!

0 Likes