FIOS, TiVo, and Airport: No need for Verizon router?
boboosta

FIOS is being installed next week for TV and internet. I have only one TV. I will use my Series 3 TiVo(with cable cards)  instead of Verizon's DVR or set-top box. So, there's no need for Verizon's interactive services such as program guide, games, video-on demand, etc.

I currently have an Apple Airport (actually it's a Time Capsule) router. 

So, can I omit Verizon's router and just hook up the Apple Airport router directly to the FIOS ONT box?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FIOS, TiVo, and Airport: No need for Verizon router?
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Actually, YES you can do that and there are no issues.  I do that myself. (different equipment, but same idea)

All you need to do is when the tech gets there to do the install, have him run ethernet from the ONT to where the router is going to be located. They will install the Verizon router at that point (let them) then once they leave you can replace their router with yours. Now the tech will try and talk you into letting him install it over moca, just be persistant and insist that they use ethernet, and you'll be fine. Just remember, by not using their equipment, your on your own for troubleshooting as they will not support 3rd party. But thats a minor thing.

View solution in original post

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

No.   You'll most likely need the router.  Verizon provisions the internet service over MoCA (i.e. Coax).   They have the ability, I believe, to do it over ethernet, but I've not heard of many installations, if any where they've done that recently.

So, you'll have the Airport connected via ethernet to the router which will connect to the ONT via coax.

You'll want to configure the router to turn off wireless and configure the airport to be on the 192.168.1.x network (don't use .1 or anything in the low .100 range) and turn off the DHCP server on the Airport (letting the router do that instead).

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Optionally, you can put the Airport's LAN side on a network other than the routers -- like 192.168.2.x and run the Airport behind the router (there's a double-NAT scenario going on here, but for most people that's not an issue).     You'll still want to disable the wireless on the Verizon router since you won't need it.

spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Actually, YES you can do that and there are no issues.  I do that myself. (different equipment, but same idea)

All you need to do is when the tech gets there to do the install, have him run ethernet from the ONT to where the router is going to be located. They will install the Verizon router at that point (let them) then once they leave you can replace their router with yours. Now the tech will try and talk you into letting him install it over moca, just be persistant and insist that they use ethernet, and you'll be fine. Just remember, by not using their equipment, your on your own for troubleshooting as they will not support 3rd party. But thats a minor thing.

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

The key here is if the tech will install it as Ethernet instead of MoCA.  

If they won't you're stuck ... and if you ever get the TV service with STB's, at that point they will insist the you be on MoCA since the STB's bridge to the LAN side of the router to allow them to get to the program guide and for Verizon to be able to reset the boxes, etc.   Since you're using a CC in to Tivo, you might be able to convince them to use Ethernet.

As spacedebris said ... YMMV when it comes to support ... Verizon will pretty much was their hands of it.

boboosta

Thanks for the info!

Is there any advantage to installing using Ethernet instead of MoCA in my situation? In other words, is there an advantage to eliminating Verizon's router?

It would be nice to have Verizon's tech support help--which it seems I would not have using Ethernet but would have using MoCA. 

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

@boboosta wrote:

Thanks for the info!

Is there any advantage to installing using Ethernet instead of MoCA in my situation? In other words, is there an advantage to eliminating Verizon's router?

It would be nice to have Verizon's tech support help--which it seems I would not have using Ethernet but would have using MoCA. 

Actually its not the Ethernet or moca for support. The only difference is the style of connection from the ONT to router. Coax (Moca) would require you to use the Verizon router, instead of your airport router. This is because your router only understands Ethernet. The choice of Ethernet over moca does not affect your support. The usage of your router instead of Verizon router is what makes the difference. Verizon will not troubleshoot your airport router. Period. Regardless of the connection style. You will also not get any support for your TIVO. They only support their equipment, not yours.

But for what you are doing, you dont want their support. You are using premium equipment so you wont have any of the problem that the Verizon systems have, so you wont need their support anyway.

As for performance, there is no difference between moca and Ethernet. Ethernet is just the more customizable option

0 Likes
boboosta

Thanks to both of you. You were both a huge help!

I think I'll ask the Verizon installer to use the Ethernet straight to my Airport router. If he refuses to do so, then I'll follow your advice for putting my Airport behind the Verizon router.

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Well I wouldnt ask him to run it to your airport.

Just ask him to use ethernet cable and have him install the verizon router where you want your airport to go.

Most of the time, the field techs that come out wont have a problem running the cable to your router. But there are some that will insist that it will not work, and will not do it.

So just to be safe, just ask him to install the Verizon router in the location you want to put your airport using ethernet. Then once he leaves. You can disconnect their router, call tech support to break your DHCP lease, and then put in your own router (they wont help you do this part but its should be plug and play for most routers)

But just let them install it like you were going to use their equipment and then change it out after they leave.

boboosta

I don't know a whole lot about networking. What do you mean by "break my DCHP lease?" Will Verizon know what those words mean, or should I use other words? As I understand it, DHCP assigns IP addresses automatically. So, if I don't use DHCP, does that mean I will have to assign all the IP addresses manually? Is that fairly easy to do?

0 Likes