FIOS - Unable to access web sites with Realplayer
DavidA

After the installation of FIOS I am unable to access/play certain sites that require Realplayer to play the program. I see several threads identifying this problem but they all seem to terminate without a solution. It appears it involves opening certain ports on the Actiontec router. Other aspects of FIOS work fine.

The web site I am tryin to access is old time radio programs at www.otr.net

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FIOS - Unable to access web sites with Realplayer
Justin46
Legend

David,

I have duplicated your problem by changing the Firewall setting in the ActionTec router from Typical Security to Maximum Security. I got the same error message you did from RealPlayer when set to maximum, and when I changed it back I was able to listen to the program again. So you might log into your ActionTec, click on the Firewall button, and check what security setting you currently have.

If in fact you have your security setting at maximum and need/want to keep it that way, I think you can create a rule to allow the realplayer to get through, but since I have never created a rule I really can't give you any advice how to do that.

I hope this is your problem, because it is easy to fix as long as you can live with the typical security setting. If this is not it, let me know, I will go in and look some more to see if I can find something.

Keller, TX 76248 

View solution in original post

Justin46
Legend
David,

I am a FiOS user with an ActionTec router (Revision D). I just downloaded RealPlayer and installed it, went to the www.otr.net site you listed, and am right now listening to an Abbot and Costello program. I have never opened any ports on the ActionTec, so I don't think that has anything to do with your problem.

Do you get any error messages, and if so what do they say?

I'm sorry that I don't have an answer to your problem, but at least for me it works without any special configuration efforts on the router or my Windows XP SP3 PC.

Keller, TX 76248 

Message Edited by Justin on 05-11-2009 11:24 AM
0 Likes
DavidA

Justin,

Thanks for the reply. I updated my XP to SP3 and reloaded realplayer but to no avail. I also have tried both IE and Foxfire.  This is true for my desttop and laptop. I can take my laptop to a hotspot at the library and it works fine.

When I click on one of the radio programs, the Realplay screen appears and then just eventually times out. The message screen states that 'Connection to server cannot be established. You may be experiencing network problems.'

Oh well, I certainly enjoyed all those old radio programs. 

Thanks,

David

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

David,

I have duplicated your problem by changing the Firewall setting in the ActionTec router from Typical Security to Maximum Security. I got the same error message you did from RealPlayer when set to maximum, and when I changed it back I was able to listen to the program again. So you might log into your ActionTec, click on the Firewall button, and check what security setting you currently have.

If in fact you have your security setting at maximum and need/want to keep it that way, I think you can create a rule to allow the realplayer to get through, but since I have never created a rule I really can't give you any advice how to do that.

I hope this is your problem, because it is easy to fix as long as you can live with the typical security setting. If this is not it, let me know, I will go in and look some more to see if I can find something.

Keller, TX 76248 

DavidA

Justin,

I had even tried setting the security to the minimum with same result. There was a thread somewhere that said the solution had to do with the ports forwarding and adding 'RTSP' to the protocols but that is beyond my level of exertise and I don't want to screw up my connection.

Obviously this is a Actiontec <---> Realplayer handshake issue. I'm surprised that more people haven't experienced it. I recall that one google result thought it was only when the remote site was using 'VOM' ?? I think those were the initials.

Thanks for your interest.

David

0 Likes
DavidA

Actually it was VOD -  direct broadcast?  Here is a link to the thread on the Realplayer forum

http://real.lithium.com/real/board/message?board.id=realplayer&thread.id=29071

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

David,

I really don't think this problem has anything with VOD, but I guess I should ask, does VOD work for you (assuming you have the TV service)?

Unfortunately I am running out of ideas. But, there is a logging part of the ActionTec interface, you could log in and take a look at the log to see if anything interesting is there and maybe copy it and paste it into this thread. It is under the System Monitoring option. Maybe go look at the log, then try the RealPlayer thing, then go look at the log again to see exactly what is recorded, if anything, and let us look at it (wipe out the last two parts of your IP address). I see some entries in my log that I think relate to trying to use RealPlayer on that site, will try to do a little more investigation to see if I can come up with anything.

This is really strange to me, I have not done anything that I know of to my ActionTec to make this work, yet it does for me and not for you. Of course this is what makes computers and the internet, etc so interesting, and frequently frustrating.....

Hang in there, hopefully someone will come in here with the answer. 

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes