FIOS/VPNs/Actiontec Router issues
MarcusRobson
I have been with Verizon for over a year now and am still no nearer finding a solution to my VPN issues. I connect to a VPN in the UK for work (in Media) and have major issues streaming video, downloading big files etc etc. From my research on the web I have narrowed the issue down to the following 1- Coax vs Ethernet - I understand COAX is unable to handle certain streaming scenarios, so I have had Cat5 installed running directly to my Actiontec router. This still has not solved the issue 2- Actiontec Router- apparently the router is unable to handle large packets of data and falls over, or in other words, it has ome inherent issues. I have read posts regarding bridging the router with another brand, but as you are still using the Actiontec surely the issues will still be present. Data still has to pass from the ONT into the Actiontec, then to the other router. In my mind as you still have the Actiontec in the loop the issues should still remain. 3- Speed / Quality - using standard Verizon im getting 25/25 no problem. Using VPN i'm lucky to get 2/1, plus a very poor quality and high packet data loss. Due to the above I am at a loss what to do next. My thoughts are.......................... Can I just run the ethernet cable directly into a new Router? Tried running it directly to my laptop but I am unable to connect to the internet. I take it the Actiontec also acts as a modem (great!). I would just use the Actiontec for VOD facets Are there any Quality of Service adjusts I can make to the Actiontec router to improve things? Will adding a second router and connecting a LAN output solve my issues as i'm still relying on the Actiontec? Any help would be great rgds Marc
0 Likes
Re: FIOS/VPNs/Actiontec Router issues
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@MarcusRobson wrote:
Due to the above I am at a loss what to do next. My thoughts are.......................... Can I just run the ethernet cable directly into a new Router? Tried running it directly to my laptop but I am unable to connect to the internet. I take it the Actiontec also acts as a modem (great!). I would just use the Actiontec for VOD facets Are there any Quality of Service adjusts I can make to the Actiontec router to improve things? Will adding a second router and connecting a LAN output solve my issues as i'm still relying on the Actiontec? Any help would be great rgds Marc

You should be able to run the ethernet cable directly to any router you desire or even to your laptop.

I believe VZ enforces some remembrance of mac addresses which is why your test of connecting the laptop didn't work - the Actiontec is a router only not a modem.  You could fool the system by changing the mac address on the laptop or router to the mac address of the actiontec which should allow it to work ok.  Doing this will disable some of your tv features such as guide, VOD  etc.

I think this message may help you

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Swapping-Actiontec-MI424WR-s/td-p/131085

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@viafax999 wrote:
You could fool the system by changing the mac address on the router to the mac address of the actiontec which should allow it to work ok.  Doing this will disable some of your tv features such as guide, VOD  etc.

No, no.

I point to http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

Where the only option where FiOS-TV (VOD and Guide) are not supported option number 4.

4. Internet Bridge
Bridging the Actiontec passes all WAN traffic through, making the user's router primary.

---

@viafax999 wrote:
You could fool the system by changing the mac address on the laptop to the mac address of the actiontec which should allow it to work ok.  Doing this will disable some of your tv features such as guide, VOD  etc.

I have no idea of that is correct or not, but that maybe true.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@dslr595148 wrote:

No, no.

I point to http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

Where the only option where FiOS-TV (VOD and Guide) are not supported option number 4.

4. Internet Bridge
Bridging the Actiontec passes all WAN traffic through, making the user's router primary.

I think the suspicion is that having the vpn traffic coming through the router is what causes the issue in the first place.  My suggestion would be a resolution to use only when you want to use the vpn, you could temporarily disconnect the actiontec and replace it with your own.  Spoofing the mac addresss will get around the  approx 4 hour delay otherwise needed.  The message link in my original post point to somebody who already did this.

However, I've read the dslreports faq before but when I read it in more detail now Option 6 may be more what Marcus needs as it says that setting the actiontec as a secondary router doesn't affect the guide and vod data when crossing the double nat.

To do that he would have to disconnect the Actiontec for approx 4 hours until it would accept a device with a new mac address and then he could just connect his laptop for the vpn to one on the lan ports and connect a second of the lan ports to the wan port of the actiontec.

Interestingly I use a VPN continuously on my network here and have no issue so he may want to try my way of being connected and see if that reslves his issue.  I have my laptop connected to a secondary linksys wrt54g router the wan port of which is connected to a lan port on, in my case, a Westell - I'm not a great fan of having exposed machines directly wired to my home network so the only equipment directly attached to the Verizon router are the stb's and a couple of virtual machines exposed via port forwarding, no ports are forwarded through the second router

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@viafax999 wrote:
I think the suspicion is that having the vpn traffic coming through the router is what causes the issue in the first place.  My suggestion would be a resolution to use only when you want to use the vpn, you could temporarily disconnect the actiontec and replace it with your own.  Spoofing the mac addresss will get around the  approx 4 hour delay otherwise needed.  The message link in my original post point to somebody who already did this.

Oh, ok. Sorry, I missed that part.

For testing reasons, sure why not...

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Just a thought, why not hook it up in the reverse fashion.

Run from ONT to personal router. Daisy chain the Verizon router behind the personal router for the STB's and have all other devices connect to the personal router. All Verizon TV features will still work this way and take the Verizon router out of the internet loop.

Or try and find a Motorola NIM 100 and take the Verizon router out of the loop all together. With the NIM you can hook up ANY router to the ethernet and then connect the NIM to one of the ports. Then connect your coax to the NIM. Bingo, all TV services are fully functional (except possibly the on screen Caller ID and Remote DVR access) But otherwise the guide, widget, and VOD services all continue to work and you dont have to worry about any of the Verizon equipment at all. I personally have mine set up this way. I have a Dlink Gaming router with a Motorola NIM behind it and it works fine. I've not tried the remote DVR access as I've never need it and I dont have Verizon phone so I dont get the caller ID, so I cant check them. But all other Video services work perfectly with this set up and I dont have to deal with any of the Verizon software.

prisaz
Legend

@spacedebris wrote:

Just a thought, why not hook it up in the reverse fashion.

Run from ONT to personal router. Daisy chain the Verizon router behind the personal router for the STB's and have all other devices connect to the personal router. All Verizon TV features will still work this way and take the Verizon router out of the internet loop.

Or try and find a Motorola NIM 100 and take the Verizon router out of the loop all together. With the NIM you can hook up ANY router to the Ethernet and then connect the NIM to one of the ports. Then connect your coax to the NIM. Bingo, all TV services are fully functional (except possibly the on screen Caller ID and Remote DVR access) But otherwise the guide, widget, and VOD services all continue to work and you dont have to worry about any of the Verizon equipment at all. I personally have mine set up this way. I have a Dlink Gaming router with a Motorola NIM behind it and it works fine. I've not tried the remote DVR access as I've never need it and I dont have Verizon phone so I dont get the caller ID, so I cant check them. But all other Video services work perfectly with this set up and I dont have to deal with any of the Verizon software.

I am doing exactly as spacedebris said. Running my router as primary ONT WAN to my Linux box router IPCOP - Actiontec has DHCP disabled and runs LAN to router box LAN. Actiontec is a bridge from its LAN to the MOCA LAN by default. Actiontec does no routing at all and only handles IP traffic to the STBs. My Linux router box 192.168.1.1 and the Actiontec 192.168.1.2 only so I can connect to it for checking it, and it does not conflict with my router's IP. Actiontec is doing the same as a Nim 100 but also provides wireless if I desire.

In regards to connecting your computer directly to the ONT, it will work if done properly. BUT security is a BIG issue because your PC would be sitting directly on the web with it having a public IP. Some ares issue IPs to the router with DHCP issuing and IP through the ONT. Other areas such as mine issue IPs with PPPOE through the ONT. You would need to set up a PPPOE connection on your PC so it could get a connection to the internet. I do not believe Verizon locks the ONT to a MAC address. That is a trick that cable companies use to do when the wanted to charge for each computer connection. It was easily circumvented when routers started allowing you to spoof PCs MAC address into the router.