FIOS WIFI vs ETHERNET -- S.O.S.
vplus

Please forgive me if this is asked & answered elsewhere.  I'm new.

I just had FIOS (tv and gigabit internet) installed in my Washington DC home.

Over wifi (with the Verizon G1100 router) I'm only getting between 50 and 100 mbs down and up.  When I connect ethernet (from that G1100 to my only a few months old Macbook Pro) I get much closer to the target...around 600.  

Is there something I should be doing - a setting I should be altering - to get where I ought to be over wifi?  It's a very very new computer.  With comcast I was about to get 250 down, with my airport extreme router. 

One more thing..when I plug ethernet from the G1100 direct into the Airport Extrme..it's about the same. just got 130 down, 140 up.  

...help?

0 Likes
Re: FIOS WIFI vs ETHERNET -- S.O.S.
jonjones1
Legend

@vplus wrote:

Please forgive me if this is asked & answered elsewhere.  I'm new.

I just had FIOS (tv and gigabit internet) installed in my Washington DC home.

Over wifi (with the Verizon G1100 router) I'm only getting between 50 and 100 mbs down and up.  When I connect ethernet (from that G1100 to my only a few months old Macbook Pro) I get much closer to the target...around 600.  

Is there something I should be doing - a setting I should be altering - to get where I ought to be over wifi?  It's a very very new computer.  With comcast I was about to get 250 down, with my airport extreme router. 

One more thing..when I plug ethernet from the G1100 direct into the Airport Extrme..it's about the same. just got 130 down, 140 up.  

...help?

Wifi is never as fast as a direct Ethernet connection to the router. The speed will depend on many factors. The radio in the device, the obstructions in the home, other electrical devices, and if you have gigabyte service as you state the speed of gigabyte is 1024/1024 not 130/140 that is no where near what you are paying for.

call 1-800-VERIZON select tech support and have them send someone over to check your ont or replace it after they troubleshoot it.

they may be able to provision the speeds properly from their office.

in any case wifi is normally half at a good day or less depending on the device.

Good Luck

HVAC2

I'm new to this forum but not networking...

G1100 router has dual 2.4 GHZ(802.11 b/g/n) and 5 GHZ(802.11 n/ac), these bands can be  name anything you like under " Basic Security Settings" in G1100 router configuration, try to connect your laptop to the "5 GHZ(802.11 n/ac)", name these bands different so that you'll know which band your laptop is connected to. Wireless-AC has extremly high speed output but shorter range. Your airport extreme router has Wireless-AC, you can also use an Ethernet CAT5e cable from your airport extreme router to G1100 router then connect your laptop to airport extreme router's  wifi Wireless-AC to improve your wifi speed.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@HVAC wrote:

I'm new to this forum but not networking...

G1100 router has dual 2.4 GHZ(802.11 b/g/n) and 5 GHZ(802.11 n/ac), these bands can be  name anything you like under " Basic Security Settings" in G1100 router configuration, try to connect your laptop to the "5 GHZ(802.11 n/ac)", name these bands different so that you'll know which band your laptop is connected to. Wireless-AC has extremly high speed output but shorter range. Your airport extreme router has Wireless-AC, you can also use an Ethernet CAT5e cable from your airport extreme router to G1100 router then connect your laptop to airport extreme router's  wifi Wireless-AC to improve your wifi speed.

That would be a great suggestion. I explained that to the original poster. I will assume you are not answering me since I know how wifi functions.

what you are attempting to explain is set up an access point (AP) which is a little more work than just plugging an Ethernet cable into the other router. 😀

0 Likes