FIOS Web Conectivity issue - "daemon.info failed queueing"
thepasta

I am having an intermittent issue with my FIOS connection - mainly web browsing.

Here is my setup:

FIOS TV / Phone / Internet
Actiontec router - v. 4.0.16.1.56.0.10.11.6

Wired XP Home, XP Pro and 2000 windows machines.

Wireless XP Pro and 2 Linksys Webcams.

Issue:

Intermittently I am unable to get to various websites for a few minutes, then it works again.

During that time my IM and Streaming Radio still continue to work.

Errors and Router information:

"TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts."
At first this could be assuemd to be an individual machine issue, but then it occurs on other machines as well. I am not running any P2P software nor playing online games which seem to cause this issue.

"daemon.info failed queueing 160 messages"

I see this in my system log when the issue occurs. Now that number varies up and down and also repeats a few times.

Now here is something that I've never noticed before in the system log - yes, I check a lot - and this has been occuring about EVERY hour:
daemon.info dhcp client: WAN Ethernet renew dns server: 208.67.222.222 208.67.220.220
daemon.info dhcp client: WAN Ethernet renew gateway: 173.54.XXX.X
daemon.info dhcp client: WAN Ethernet renew netmask: 255.255.255.0
daemon.info dhcp client: WAN Ethernet renew ip address: 173.54.XXX.XXX

Not sure if that has anything to do with it, but who knows.

Oh and I use Open DNS for my DNS servers - as you'll notice above.

I've rebooted the machines and the router.

Any ideas??

Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: FIOS Web Conectivity issue - "daemon.info failed queueing"
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
Maybe a Tiny NAT Table issue.

See as need be...

http://www.verizonfioswiki.com/index.php/Using_Your_Own_Router

--

All DSLR (dslreports.com) FAQs » Verizon Online FiOS FAQ » Networking » What are the tradeoffs between the various router configurations

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077
0 Likes
thepasta

Thanks for the quick response!

So you're saying, short of using my own router, I have to deal with that issue?

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@thepasta wrote:

Thanks for the quick response!

So you're saying, short of using my own router, I have to deal with that issue?

It could be. How many PCs or users are online when this happens? Multiple uses can fill up the NAT table. Are you running any peer to peer software for file sharing over the internet? Peer to peer will make multiple connections a fill the table quickly. Are any users running online games when this happens? Online games establish many peer to peer connections that can cause issues. I am not sure how many connections are made before the issue surfaces. But it is usually very many connections. So there may be other things happening.

It really looks as if the WAN on the router is losing the IP due to the connection being dropped and the reestablished. This could be a hardware issue with your ONT or something else. If it keep occuring I would contact support. They may do a reset of your ONT or other diagnostics.

Message Edited by prisaz on 05-04-2009 05:51 PM
Message Edited by prisaz on 05-04-2009 05:51 PM
0 Likes
thepasta

I always have three running, sometimes 4 or 5. When the error occured earlier today 3 machines were connected and on, however only one was being utlized. No P2P, no Games. I randomly do use a program if I'm downloading multiple files - however I have not used that in a few days and have since rebooted the router.

This issue occurred many months ago and then just stopped. About a week or so ago I had no connection at all... even right from the ONT - CAT cable direct to my laptop. Verizon went into my router and did something and the connection was back up. That's when I started notcing the issue... as well that (noted in my first message) the WAN renewal every hour - which never noticed before.

Unless I get some headway from here or online I guess I'll call support - I just wish I could move to a level 2. I know all the basic checks... reboot, reformat, reload 😉

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend
Verizon should not really need to go into the router other then to run diagnostics perhaps. I had the remote DVR enabled and they had to go into the router to find out what the problems was. They ended up sending a new router. You can always just use the end of a paper clip in the small hole in the rear of the router and hold in the button for 15 sec or more. This would reset it to default which should work fine. You have DHCP which seems like it is renewing the IP lease every hour. This should not happen unless the connection is dropping. I would try to reset the router to default and go from there. You could also cold boot the ONT by unplugging the battery and then removing the power plug from the wall. Remember doing this will cut your TV service and any DVR recording that is being done. Any more then this is going to take a call to support.
Message Edited by prisaz on 05-04-2009 06:46 PM
0 Likes