FIOS bridging for MI424WR-GEN3I and apple extreme
philadelphia50
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi,

I'm having some port forwarding/double NAT issues with my FIOS modem/router and my airport extreme.

Before moving I was able to "bridge" the cable modem and use my airport extreme for all my networking needs.

I was told by the technician that this was not possible with FIOS. I might have gotten the wrong information since I use internet and phone but not TV and the phone I use is not the FIOS phone plan (all VOIP) but something that is still regulated (don't ask) .

My setup now is Fiber into the grey box (ONT?) then via coax to the router (I wanted that to be ethernet). The router is a MI424WR-GEN3I model. From there to the Apple extreme (which runs the ethernet and wireless connections).

The apple extreme said there was a double NAT (which I told it to ignore) and most services seems fine. But I'm now having trouble with my NAS and external access. I've never had that problem before and believe it is connected to the double NAT and port forwarding issues I'm having.

I turned wireless off without an issue on the verizon modem/router. Is there a simple way to bridge my modem (I doubt it) and yes how? Before I do it, is there a reason NOT to?

Otherwise what would I need to do to change my connection to ethernet from coax and would that allow me to either bridge or forgo the verizon router/modem altogether? I doubt that would work since I have always had some kind of "modem" but was usually able to make it passthrough my 1s and 0s.

Thanks for any and all advice,

Philly

0 Likes
Re: FIOS bridging for MI424WR-GEN3I and apple extreme
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can easily change the Internet from coax to Ethernet.
Contact support.
Ask them to release the IP from your rotuer and then provision Internet over Ethernet.

Then hook uo your own router to the ethernet and off you go.

philadelphia50
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you for your reply. Seems simple enough. I guess that is the way to go. It will be a pain in the neck to "rewire/relocate" stuff.

Is it difficult/tricky to bridge the MI424WR? I've seen numeorus threads online and there seems to be a fair bit of discussion about how and why to do it. Thoughts?

I'm confident with a good set of instructions that I can pull it off. I understand a bit of networking but have to be honest that other than understanding the terms, I'm not tech savy enough to muck around too much if I run into trouble.

If it is as straightforward as following 1 -> 2-> 3 I would be fine. Any recommendation on a set of instructions? Why would I not want to just bridge the modem? I guess what are the pros and cons of bridging vs changing the ont to Ethernet?

For me the con of changing the ONT is moving the equipment so that would be my reason for prefering the bridging. Also I do not have nor intend to use fios TV so that would not be a hinderance. Reading some posts that seemed for a reason not to bridge

Thanks for any and all help.

Regards,

Philly

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@philadelphia50 wrote:

For me the con of changing the ONT is moving the equipment so that would be my reason for prefering the bridging. Also I do not have nor intend to use fios TV so that would not be a hinderance. Reading some posts that seemed for a reason not to bridge

Thanks for any and all help.

Regards,

Philly

As you don't have fios tv you can just forget all about the Verizon router as that is it's only purpose.

philadelphia50
Enthusiast - Level 1

Okay, but I can't connect the coax cable to my airport extreme 🙂 

It seems like both of you recommend changing to ethernet and moving my setup. 

Using the modem as a bridge to my equipment setup (airport extreme, ethernet switches/printers/sonos and hardwired macs) doesn't seem like a popular solution.

I guess I'll start rethinking my setup, I might try the bridge for kicks. What do I have to lose? Worst case I brick the modem and ask them to switch the ONT to ethernet which makes my now bricked modem obsolete anyway.

Am I missing anything?

Thanks for the replies,

Philly

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

Just turn the wireless off on the Verizon router and set the Apple to routed bridge mode and everything should work fine.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

One point.

MI424WR is a router not a modem.

0 Likes