FIOS gigabit - wall ethernet - Wifi router in first floor
banpinapplepizz

Hi,

I got internet recently, technician connected the ONT (basement) to one of the wall ethernet port (first floor) where I have my verizon Wifi router. Signal is excellent for every floor and everyone is happy but the issue is the rest of the Wall ethernet ports are disconnected (I have 6 in total).

I have a computer desktop in the second floor that I would like to plug into the wall ethernet port but I don't know how I could still get my router in the first floor and have the remaining ports also connected to the ONT.

I tried to connect the router where the ONT is (basement) but wifi signal gets weak in the second floor.

How can I get all my ethernet ports connected without moving my wifi router ?

Thank you all!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FIOS gigabit - wall ethernet - Wifi router in first floor
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you want to leave the router on the first floor I would imagine you also have a coax wall plate there as well? Just connect the coax to the router and get a fios network adapter from verizon for $55. You can place it down in the basement and connect it to all the ethernet wiring in the house. The coax connected to the router will feed down to the panel and connect to the fna. The the fna has 4 ethernet ports with can feed the wall plates around the house. 
https://www.verizon.com/home/accessories/fios-network-adapter/

View solution in original post

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

This is the instance exemplifies the pitfall of router/switch/access point combos.

As a residential customer, you will not be able to connect more than one device to the ONT directly. Plus, you don't want to do that. Connecting devices directly to the ONT exposes the devices to the public internet. It is safer to have a router in-between with some primitive security features.

From your post, I think your house has all its ethernet drops terminated in the basement. So, in order to connect the drops to your router's LAN ports, you need to relocate the router to the basement; OR pull an ethernet wire from the 1st floor back to the basement, and you need to buy a layer 2 switch to data-link the wire from the router to all other ethernet drops in the basement.

If you are relocating your router to the basement, you need to buy FiOS Network Extenders to expand wireless coverage. I am assuming your router is G3100, so the recommended extender is E3200, costing $200. If you feel this price is greater than pulling a pull back down to the basement and adding a layer 2 switch, then prefer the latter.

If you do not have Verizon STBs and the router is not provided for free, I would recommend you to buy your own router, specifically a router without a built-in access point but with a built-in switch with 4 or 8 ports, so you can place it in your basement, while not sacrificing any wireless coverage. You can then buy a standalone enterprise-grade access point for the 1st floor for wireless devices. For a gigabit throughput router, I would recommend Cisco RV260 ($150~). For the access point, I would recommend Aruba Instant On AP11 ($90~, meshable).

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you want to leave the router on the first floor I would imagine you also have a coax wall plate there as well? Just connect the coax to the router and get a fios network adapter from verizon for $55. You can place it down in the basement and connect it to all the ethernet wiring in the house. The coax connected to the router will feed down to the panel and connect to the fna. The the fna has 4 ethernet ports with can feed the wall plates around the house. 
https://www.verizon.com/home/accessories/fios-network-adapter/