FIOS in Hopkinton, MA
whiskeylover
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just called and signed up for installation for Fios at my new place I'm moving to. But before I hung up, I asked to talk to technical support and confirmed that they do NOT block remote desktop and SSH ports. He confirmed that they do not. In fact, he said that they do not block ANY ports. All I would have to do is call them up, and they'd guide me thru the process of unblocking ports on the router.

I want to know if this is true. Does Fios really not block any ports? If they do block basic ports like remote desktop and SSH, it'll be a deal breaker for me. If they don't block other ports, it'd be a plus. My current ISP (Comcast) doesn't even block HTTP and FTP.

Can someone please confirm? My area is Hopkinton, MA.

Thanks

-Whiskey

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FIOS in Hopkinton, MA
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@whiskeylover wrote:

I know how to forward ports on the router,  I don't need support with that.

Another thing... I know the IPs are dynamic on the residential srevice. But do they change often? How often do you notice your IP changed? My current ISP also says the IP isn't static, but my IP hasn't changed in the past 2 years.

Anybody has any insights into this?

Mine has never changed, but then I've only had Fios service for 4 months.

I would think that unless you power off the router for some amount of time it will never change.  Even if it does the router supports a dyndns connection so you could just get a free acount there and use the dns name instead of the IP address.

View solution in original post

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

They said that they do not block any ports? Oh, please  - They lie, one example is all it takes to prove that wrong!

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Did-Verizon-just-shut-down-port-25/td-p/169955

--

This assumes that you are(or will be on Residental Service. But on business account, there is no blocked ports.

^^

0 Likes
whiskeylover
Enthusiast - Level 3

Oh, I don't care about 25.

What about 80, 21, 22 and other common ports like Remote desktop? I know for a fact that Comcast doesn't block these. They block only a handful like 25, NETBIOS, 445, 1080 etc.

Any link listing the blocked ports would be very helpful.

Thanks

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

I haven't found any ports blocked.  Have Run RDP, FTP and HTTP/S with no issue.  I am resedential service.

Using the default ports is typically a pain so have now moved over to private ports for those protocols and just give the port numbers to the people I WANT to be accessing.

Wouldn't hold my breath about getting Verizon to support you with port forwarding setups.  They expressley say they won't do that.  You find plenty of help on this board on how to do it.

whiskeylover
Enthusiast - Level 3

Another thing... I know the IPs are dynamic on the residential srevice. But do they change often? How often do you notice your IP changed? My current ISP also says the IP isn't static, but my IP hasn't changed in the past 2 years.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@whiskeylover wrote:

Mine has never changed, but then I've only had Fios service for 4 months.

I would think that unless you power off the router for some amount of time it will never change.  Even if it does the router supports a dyndns connection so you could just get a free acount there and use the dns name instead of the IP address.

whiskeylover
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you

0 Likes