FIOS intermittent connection/high latency problems
MFlick
I'm trying to figure out how to resolve what appears to be an intermittent connection and/or high latency problem(s). I can get to the internet to browse but it requires multiple attempts sometimes to get pages to open-I've tried multiple websites, so it's not just a specific one. I also "time out" & "lost server connection" on various online games -Age of Conan, Warcraft, and Warhammer; so again, it's not their servers. On Conan and Warcraft I can actually watch the latency meter climb from 50-135ms to 4800+ms about every 30 seconds then go back down and repeat until the host servers decide I have a shoddy ISP and boot me....I tried the support line and like someone else said in a similar post, as long as verizon can ping my router it must be fine. This all started yesterday morning when there was a "service outage" and subsequent restoration in our area yesterday. Support did tell my I could opt for a pay for support plan and they might help me more......The problem occurs on my wireless laptop, my hardline desktop and through my I-phone's wifi, so although possible it's unlikely all 3 devices have individual problems that started occurring during the same time frame.
0 Likes
Re: FIOS intermittent connection/high latency problems
TR-Tim
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am in central New Jersey and have been having something similar for about a week.  Noticing the internet connection was kind of sluggish, did a speed test and the results were really bad, sometimes under 1 mps.  Reboot router, things get back to close to 10 where they should be, but after a while ( often within minutes) things get slow again.  Reboot route, repeat, same thing.

Two calls to tech support, they concluded there was something wrong with the router and sent a new one.  That really didn't solve the problem either.  Verizon can't seem to connect to my router to chekc it remotely, now they are thinking it may be the ONT.  

I am not completely losing a connection, the speed just gets slow, and it's not consistent.  Sometimes it crawls, other times it speeds up without rebooting the router.  When doing the speed test the latency speeds vary widely too.

I havent' called back again, just  tired of thinking about it for now, but has anybody else been experiencing a similar problem?  

0 Likes
Moulton
I am having the same issue with the slow connection and often my wireless connection is completely useless until I reboot.  This started happening roughly a week ago as well.  I'm in DE by the way.  I already tried to change my channel to 11 as they suggested and still same unreliable wireless, with slow connection.  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks.
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
Same problem here in Southern California.  It started yesterday.  I've had horrible ping in games, and I can't even connect to most servers now.  My speed test results are all over the place.  What a way to spend my weekend.
0 Likes
Greico

Same issue in Dallas for the better part of a week and a half. Internet is constantly cycling on and off.

I have done the usual of reset and reboot but it makes no difference. I am on a DLINK Router and a

wired system. I dread the thought of calling tech support. What is the next step?

Does a rep from Verizon read and respond to this board or are we more or less talking to ourselves?

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@Greico wrote:

Same issue in Dallas for the better part of a week and a half. Internet is constantly cycling on and off.

I have done the usual of reset and reboot but it makes no difference. I am on a DLINK Router and a

wired system. I dread the thought of calling tech support. What is the next step?

Does a rep from Verizon read and respond to this board or are we more or less talking to ourselves?

I also am in the Metroplex and I have had some long browser responses in the last week or so, especially on this forum, up to 30 sec or so, but my email has worked just fine throughout, and not all websites seem to have been affected. I have never lost internet connectivity during this time as far as I know. Interestingly, each time I have had a slowdown I have done a speed test to Speedtest.net and the performance has always been good, the 20/5 that I am supposed to have, with ping times of 10 ms.

When you say you have done resets and reboots, is that the router and PC only, or have you tried resetting the ONT? I have seen reports from some people that resetting the ONT has fixed the kind of problems you are describing. I have never done a reset of the ONT, but my understanding is that you can get that done by either calling the FSC and having them do it remotely, or you can remove power from the ONT, then go into the battery backup box and remove one of the wires from the battery for a few minutes, then hook it all back up. My take is trying this, if you have not already done so, can't hurt and might help.

This most definitely is a user-to-user support forum, so you should expect most answers, like mine, from another user. However, yes, Verizon employees do monitor the forum. There are several very good techs that monitor and post here and have been very helpful. Unfortunately on an issue like this, where performance is either erratic or poor, it is often difficult to find the problem.

I think you probably need to call the FSC. If enough people do that it may show a pattern that Verizon can work on.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
Greico

I appoligise if this is a repeat of a post but my internet went down on the post.

Justin - Thank you for the information. At the risk of sounding stupid

What is a ONT and who is FSC?

Thanks

Tom

0 Likes
MFlick
For whatever it's worth, it still doesn't work right. I've called tech support multiple times and finally the 4th guy appeared to take me seriously. He at least said he'd notify a network technician to look into it within 24-48 hours....... He and all the rest had me try the usual-turn off router, reset router, reboot desktop multiple times, reboot laptop, check laptop and desktop next to each other, ping google, ping verizon, unplug router, unplug ONT, unplug battery, etc...... None of it ever changed or fixed any of the problems, it actually made things worse. I cannot connect at all with my laptop (wireless) or my I-Phone anymore. I also sent an e-mail in through the support channels, that got me an auto-generated e-mail response with the same things on the support website-----turn off this and that and things should work yadda yadda yadda..... It typically takes multiple tries to get to web pages, it'll probably take 3-4 tries to post this 🙂
0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@Greico wrote:

I appoligise if this is a repeat of a post but my internet went down on the post.

Justin - Thank you for the information. At the risk of sounding stupid

What is a ONT and who is FSC?

Thanks

Tom

Tom,

ONT: Optical Network Terminal - the big (grey?) box mounted either outside your house or maybe in the garage where the FiOS fiber from the street is connected. It converts the optical signals to/from electrical signals for all services you have: phone, TV, and internet.

FSC: Fiber Solutions Center - the people you call for technical assistance - 1-888-553-1555

Keller, TX 76248

Greico

Justin

Thanks I'll give it a go and report back

Tom

0 Likes