FIOS internet and MS VPN
todd_f

We have an employee with FIOS at home and the VPN on his company laptop will connect, but he cannot connect to Exchange, the intranet or connect to our file/print server.  We have tried both wired and wireless.  He is using XP and our VPN is Microsoft on Server 2003.

He also has an AT&T wireless card for use when not at home.  The VPN connects and works fine using that.

We also have a DSL here in the main building used for troubleshooting and the VPN works fine over that.

I called the fantastically horrible, crude, ridiculous and outright stupid support staff at Verizon and was informed they would not help me because the issue involved a VPN.  I asked if they could at least check the firmware version on his router to see if it was up to date and he hung up on me.  When I called back, there were no notes on file of my previous call, which is standard protocol for Verizon staff at all stages of the company, whether commercial or residential.

Anyway, back to my primary issue - can anyone provide any assistance for trouble shooting?  I have FiOS at my home and have no problems  connecting to the VPN.  I do have all of the other issues with trying to get competent support, though, and also attempting to navigate the worst phone system created by any organization outside of a government agency.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. - I just did a spell check on this, and FIOS wasn't in their dictionary.  Gotta love it.

0 Likes
Re: FIOS internet and MS VPN
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 When this user is behind the FIOS router, have him/her check the networking info on there computer.

As how to do this for example, if on Windows XP..

Go to Start -> Run.

Type in cmd and press enter.

In the window, called the command prompt, type in ipconfig /all and press enter.

#2 Have him/her do the same thing for when they are connected to the DSL (and or) to the AT&T wireless card.

#3 On the Microsoft Server 2003, check what IP Address range it uses.

As how to do this I do not know, but I can give you example(s)..

If this was XP, on the screen shot at http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn_server.htm

Go to step 14.

-

I am not since I do not have Windows 2003

but according to http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/w3k_vpn_server.htm

the IP Addres range, is listed there..

Since that site is copyrighted, I will not copy any of what was said over there - but you do see what you are looking for.

#4 Pleae report back only the following info:

a) IP Range of the Microsoft  Server 2003.

b) IP Address found when behind the FIOS router.

c) The IP Address when using DSL (and or) the IP address when using this AT&T wireless card.

0 Likes