FIOS internet connection drops 20x daily
tazdevil89041

I was an original FIOS customer 5 years ago and had no problems with the internet connection at that time.  However, since returning to FIOS in May 2012, the WIFI connection consistently drops 20x or more a day for no reason.  It will reconnect itself but it takes 5-6 tries.  All equipment is EXACTLY where it was 5 years ago when there were no problems.  This is extremely frustrating, especially when I'm working.  Every time I call customer service, the wait/hold time is over 45 minutes - same as with talking with support on-line.  Can anyone help with this problem? 

FYI - the connection is never lost on the desktop computer - just the laptop on WIFI.

Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
Re: FIOS internet connection drops 20x daily
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are you still using the router you originally had with the FiOS service? If so, what router and revision is it? I also assume you've tried changing the channels the router uses, correct?

0 Likes
tazdevil89041

I am using the router they gave me in May 2012.  It is an Actiontec M1424WR Rev. 1.

I had no idea you could change the channels on the router.  How do you do this?

0 Likes
tortmar

i am having the same problem. everything worked great a few months ago then internet connection kept dropping. verizon sent me a new router. now we still are losing connection. it is worse actually. now some things will connect and other devices will not. have a 16 year old that keeps having the xbox lose connection in the middle of games :(. I called verizon, they reset router. couple of days later still happening. called again they said that they only guarantee devices that are 10ft away. never heard that before. basically she said there was nothing else she could do. that would mean that we all would have to be in my kitchen to not have internet drop. she also said that something may be interfering with the signal. not sure what since nothing has changed on our end. was not happening a the beginning of the summer. is there any other help?

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

@tazdevil89041 wrote:

I am using the router they gave me in May 2012.  It is an Actiontec M1424WR Rev. 1.

I had no idea you could change the channels on the router.  How do you do this?

REV 1??  or did they give you a new rev I (red band).

0 Likes
GFAngers

I am having the same problem.  

Now I can't get into my Yahoo! email.  Yahoo say it's a temporary error (beta testing), but it's been a week.  

I don't know if that is related.  

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

Email problems this week are unrelated.  And Email is NOT Internet.

OP is having problem with his WiFI connection to the Verizon Router dropping 20x daily.  Actually lots of reasons that could be having problems.  Need to confirm

• Any problems with wired connections, or is it strictly WiFi.  DESKTOP works is it wired?
  • Precise model of router he is using, and whether its new or the same as he previously used
  • Distances between router and device, and if anything is in the way that might effect signal strength
  • Data band is using.  Perhaps using one that is crowded or that his neighbors are now using
  • WPA2, WPA, WEP security.  Most devices now work better with WPA2 (built-in to many chipsets)
  • Other factors
0 Likes
tazdevil89041

In response to your inquiries TNS:

-No problems with wired connection (desktop) - only WiFi.

-The router is as previously stated - Actiontec M1424WR Rev 1 given to me when Verizon reconnected in May 2012 -- It's NOT the original router from 5 years ago.

-The router is in the exact same position as it was 5 yrs ago when there were no problems.  Approx. 10 ft between router and device with nothing that would effect signal strength.  (NOTE:  The green Internet light on the router constantly flashes (blinks) -not sure if it is supposed to be steady or not.)

-I have no idea what you mean about data band so I can't answer that.

-WEP security

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

Hopefully you mean you have a rev I (letterr i) router.  This is the lastest model and supports gig e wired and wireless-n (2.4 only).

You should consider WPA2 unless not all your devices support it.  Basic instructions on changing security are here http://www22.verizon.com/support/residential/internet/fiosinternet/networking/setup/security/125521....

To logon to your router http://192.168.1.1 .  You will be asked for the routers id and password.  If you didn't change anything the router's id is 'admin' and the password is printed on the sticker on the router.  For the most recent routers its listed seperately, while older routers use the serial number of the router (in caps for serial number).

The channel is listed and changed under wireless settings, basic security settings.  You may want to try changing channel to avoid other traffic.  Some people suggest trying 1, 6, and 11 in that order.

0 Likes