FIOS internet to basement coax
polishpants
Enthusiast - Level 1

My ONT is located in an upstairs bedroom. There is coax and ethernet running to a G1100.  There is a tv box connected on the main floor. I have a couple of devices that require wired internet in the basement and running an ethernet cable isn't an option. There is a coax jack in the basement, but I'm not sure if it is live. The closet by the ONT has loose coax wires and 3 connected to a splitter. I assume 1 of the 3 leads to the TV, and another to a jack in the same room that the install tech said was live. 

Assuming I can figure out which loose wire I need to connect to the splitter to get a signal is the basement, could I get internet to the basement that way? And if so:

1) Do I only need a MoCa 2.0 bonded adapter in the basement?

2) What kind of speeds would I get?

or

3) If the basement line is live, can I move the G1100 down there since there is no need to have it in a bedroom?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FIOS internet to basement coax
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

With Gigabit, the ONT and router must be connected using their Ethernet ports.

It would be easiest to simply add one of the MoCA devices linked above.  You'll get a few hundred Mbps in the basement.  WiFi, too, if you select the extender.

Another option is to use two MoCA 2.0 Bonded adapters to run the ONT<->Router WAN link over coax, but that coax can't be connected to any other devices.  This is because the WAN link from the ONT can't be shared with anything else.  If you have a dedicated coax available between the ONT and router, you could consider this.   The ONT's and router's coax ports will still need to be connected to the coax network with the set-top-box for MoCA LAN and linear TV.  This configuration is more complicated and higher cost.

View solution in original post

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

What speed internet do you have?  Anything over 100Mbps requires Ethernet from the ONT to the router.

If you can get the router and the basement location on the same coax network, then you can use a MoCA bridge to get an Ethernet jack there.  You can also get WiFi, if you use an extender.  The G1100 is a MoCA 2.0 (not bonded) device.  It'll get you several 100Mbps.  That may be enough depending on your needs and internet speed.

Here's links to Verizon's MoCA devices:

https://www.verizon.com/home/accessories/fios-network-adapter/

https://www.verizon.com/home/accessories/fios-network-extender/

polishpants
Enthusiast - Level 1

Gigabit service. Simply having a connection there is more important than getting the max available. 

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

With Gigabit, the ONT and router must be connected using their Ethernet ports.

It would be easiest to simply add one of the MoCA devices linked above.  You'll get a few hundred Mbps in the basement.  WiFi, too, if you select the extender.

Another option is to use two MoCA 2.0 Bonded adapters to run the ONT<->Router WAN link over coax, but that coax can't be connected to any other devices.  This is because the WAN link from the ONT can't be shared with anything else.  If you have a dedicated coax available between the ONT and router, you could consider this.   The ONT's and router's coax ports will still need to be connected to the coax network with the set-top-box for MoCA LAN and linear TV.  This configuration is more complicated and higher cost.