FIOS internet with McAfee protection.
bakim

total problems....although FIOS has been running slow for awhile, I am sure I have some sort of virus......time to get on verizon site is ridiculous.  once I am on ai can go to other sites quickly.  Not sure what the heck is wrong, and MCafee did not help too much last night except clean out a lot of unwanted files.   slow slow slow.  I am in safe mode now.   Last week I had that re-direct thing going on with google also.   I have XP!

0 Likes
Re: FIOS internet with McAfee protection.
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sounds like you still have the remnants of the redirect malware.   I spin thru Malwarebytes and if that comes up clean Hitman Pro (both obtaintable thru CNET -- don't get them from just any location unless you're sure it's the developers website) should hopefully clean it up.

I will note that depending on which McAfee product you have -- they have a script scanning (Javascript) anti-virus feature now which helps prevent infections from that vector -- unfortunately, the side-effect is that Javascript laden sites will often perform horribly as it continually scans and rescans the site code.    Not sure if the sites you are having trouble with fall into that category, but temporarily disabling the script scanning feature for web might be worth a shot.   Of course, de-installing McAfee and going with something that's a little less bloated wouldn't be a bad idea either -- lately, I've been a fan of Sunbelt Software's VIPRE product (they have a home user license that lets you run it on all you PC's for one price -- and a coupon for any extra year of coverage for free until 7/11 if you poke around a bit on their site with a free 30-day trial).   It's the lightest on system resources that I've found to date,     I'm sure others have their favorites as well (there are a variety of free solutions which are quite good out there as well which us less resources than McAfee).

Disclaimer: I have no relationship with Sunbelt Software or the VIPRE product -- I'm just a happy customer