FIOS is "available in my building" but I do not have an ethernet connection in my apartment
Phaedrusnyc
Enthusiast - Level 1

FIOS has been "available" in my apartment for a couple of years, now, as confirmed by a sales rep and the fact that Verizon sends about 3 pieces of mail per week telling me this--and I would like to switch if possible (it isn't any cheaper than my current connection but I hate my service provider and ostensibly speeds are about 3x faster than what I'm getting). However, I know for a fact that I don't have an ethernet jack in my apartment, so I'm trying to figure out how this works. Would it require someone having access to the rest of the building (if that's the case, this is a no-go, since my landlord is profoundly difficult to work with and lives in the building)? If not, what exactly am I getting? My understanding is that fiber optics to coaxial don't actually provide advertised speeds, and it also means it would be difficult if not impossible to use my own router, and renting from FIOS would mean my bills would go up significantly.

Does anyone else have experience with what "available" actually means in this case? Verizon reps don't have any answers and I have no idea how to speak to someone who does.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FIOS is "available in my building" but I do not have an ethernet connection in my apar
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Question 1. That is very possible. Normally that will be a phone room or phone closet somewhere in the building. Typically Verizon pre-runs small conduit from that phone room to a closet in each apartment. 

Question 2. The technician will run a fiber through that conduit and connect it to an ONT in your apartment. From there they will run ethernet to your router. 

Question 3. Verizon can’t just install fiber into the building without your landlord’s knowledge or consent. I would double check with your landlord to see if he/she knows where everything is in the building and if any doors need to be opened when the technician arrives. You can deal directly with Verizon but if something that they need to get to is locked the technician won’t be able to finish your install. I would work with both parties so your install goes as smooth as possible. 

View solution in original post

Re: FIOS is "available in my building" but I do not have an ethernet connection in my apar
jonjones1
Legend

I don’t know what you have been reading. Fios if available in your building installs the ethernet cable to your apartment and makes sure it a live connection.

you did not say if you are wanting tv and phone from verizon? You can use your own router (not modem) with fios internet only. Its a simple hook up. But be aware if you go this route the fios support will stop at the ONT.

if you give the router back get a receipt. Since you save $144 a year in rental fees.

and don’t sign any contracts. At present new customers can get gigabyte speed for $70 with no taxes or fees. If in NY there is a bogus NYS Municipal Construction Surcharge accessed.

tv and phone hike up your invoice with taxes and fees. 

0 Likes
Phaedrusnyc
Enthusiast - Level 1

My question was whether installation of the ethernet cable will require that the technicians access areas of my building (and drill holes, etc) that I do not occupy, in which case I would require permission from my landlord. I'm not sure how available "available" is, in this case. And no, it would be Internet only and I'm aware of how the router, etc. work.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

It really depends.

Available could mean that your building is within the FiOS service area and they can connect.

I'd start with your landlord and ask if Verizon currently has equipment in the building servicing other tenants.

Its possible that wiring is in place. Or they might reuse the wiring that is used by your current provider.

jonjones1
Legend

You wrote:

My understanding is that fiber optics to coaxial don't actually provide advertised speeds, and it also means it would be difficult if not impossible to use my own router, and renting from FIOS would mean my bills would go up significantly.

i answered as to its not impossible to use your own router. Not that you know how a router works. You were mentioning coaxial in your initial post. Since internet only you will be using ethernet. The installer would find the best route so as to not bother other tenants. If others in your building have fios it should not be hard for the installer to work with you on placement. They can run it from inside (which you dont think will be possible) or from outside. They do not install wall receptacles. So they will run ethernet to your router only. But you can only find out if you call for service.

0 Likes
Phaedrusnyc
Enthusiast - Level 1

@jonjones wrote:

i answered as to its not impossible to use your own router. Not that you know how a router works. You were mentioning coaxial in your initial post. Since internet only you will be using ethernet. The installer would find the best route so as to not bother other tenants. If others in your building have fios it should not be hard for the installer to work with you on placement. They can run it from inside (which you dont think will be possible) or from outside. They do not install wall receptacles. So they will run ethernet to your router only. But you can only find out if you call for service.

Please stop responding to this thread. Your condescending tone is not helpful and you've yet to actually answer my questions because it is more important to you to demonstrate what you think is superior knowledge about routers (which I've been setting up for 15+ years, so I'm pretty sure that yes, I know how they work). Nor did I ever suggest they "install wall receptacles," simply that there is no evidence that ethernet cable has ever been run up to my third floor apartment. Everything I stated comes directly from this board and other sources, including the fact that FIOS in apartment can be run from an ONT in the basement that converts fiber to the preexisting copper wire using MoCA. Which would require access to the basement and running ethernet cable to my third-floor apartment. SInce "running from outside" also involves accessing the parts of the building that I do not rent and possibly defacing the outside of the building, this would be an issue. If I don't "know how routers work" I guess I can say that you don't know how apartment buildings work.

Reiterating for actual helpful people:

1. WIll the FIOS technician need access to areas of my apartment building other than my third floor apartment to connect me to FIOS?

2. WIll the FIOS technician be installing Ethernet wire to my building or does FIOS being "available" in my apartment imply that there is, in fact, ethernet wire installed already that I am not aware of?

3. What exactly does it mean that FIOS is "available" in my apartment (not just in my building, but in my apartment)? Does it actually mean that I can deal directly with Verizon rather than involving my landlord?

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Question 1. That is very possible. Normally that will be a phone room or phone closet somewhere in the building. Typically Verizon pre-runs small conduit from that phone room to a closet in each apartment. 

Question 2. The technician will run a fiber through that conduit and connect it to an ONT in your apartment. From there they will run ethernet to your router. 

Question 3. Verizon can’t just install fiber into the building without your landlord’s knowledge or consent. I would double check with your landlord to see if he/she knows where everything is in the building and if any doors need to be opened when the technician arrives. You can deal directly with Verizon but if something that they need to get to is locked the technician won’t be able to finish your install. I would work with both parties so your install goes as smooth as possible. 

Datnigz2002

I am a Professional Network Administrator with over 15 years of experience.

Verizon provides 100% fiber to your home.  If you check the addresses of people on the first floor of an apartment complex you will notice the service is already activated and they already have an account or can be available.  On the other hand, Verizon has not worked with apartment management to install fiber to your unit to provide service via fiber on higher levels of the apartment building.  I have had the same issue myself.  Although service is available at your address, it is only for those who live on the ground level and possibly the floor just above.  The buildings have COAX cable for cable service to provide you service but they do not have Fiber cabling in the units.  Sadly, Verizon can provide the same service to you and convert it to the COAX but they promised 100% fiber to your door and will not do it.  A short conversion from Fiber to COAX Cable will not reduce your performance or service in any way.

0 Likes
kh-gary
Moderator Emeritus

In order to keep discussion on the community current, this topic has been locked to prevent new replies. If you have a similar question or issue that you wish to discuss, then please feel free to post a new message on the most relevant board. Thanks!

0 Likes