Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.

FIOS not working on new computer

usanews
Contributor
Contributor

FIOS not working on new computer

Message 1 of 4
(2,827 Views)

I have had Verizon FIOS for 3 or more years.  The browser supplied by Verizon crashed 2 years ago and Verizon said it was out of warranty.  I decided to try hooking up my desktop directly with the cable from the wall jack.  It worked and I was able to use FIOS that way wiithout replacing the browser.

Now I have bought a new desktop.  I plugged in the cable from the wall jack and I cannot get on the Internet.  

I can plug the cable into my laptop and get on the Internet as I am now. 

Any suggestion on what I can do to get the Internet working on the desktop?

3 REPLIES 3
dslr595148
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Re: FIOS not working on new computer

Message 2 of 4
(2,764 Views)

What is your OS and Version? For example Windows XP Home SP3.

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.

Anti-Phish
Gold Contributor III
Gold Contributor III

Message 3 of 4
(2,730 Views)

This problem is usually a result of not releasing the DHCP lease on the old computer or router before connecting the new one.

VZ's DHCP lease interval is 2 hours, so this problem should have cleared by the time you read this.

If it hasn't cleared, this FAQ may help:

How do I clear my DHCP lease

If it hasn't cleared, another thing you can try is to reconnect the old desktop.  Verify that it's connection is active, then do an IPCONFIG /RELEASE (or equivalent command depending on your OS).  The new computer should then be able to obtain a DHCP lease.

viafax999
Gold Contributor VII Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII

Message 4 of 4
(2,705 Views)

@usanews wrote:

I have had Verizon FIOS for 3 or more years.  The browser supplied by Verizon crashed 2 years ago and Verizon said it was out of warranty.  I decided to try hooking up my desktop directly with the cable from the wall jack.  It worked and I was able to use FIOS that way wiithout replacing the browser.

Now I have bought a new desktop.  I plugged in the cable from the wall jack and I cannot get on the Internet.  

I can plug the cable into my laptop and get on the Internet as I am now. 

Any suggestion on what I can do to get the Internet working on the desktop?

As Verizon doesn't supply fios customers with browsers I have to assume you mean ROUTER  ???

I don't belive there is a consumer warranty that you should worry about so if your fios router quit working I would get Verizon to replace it.

Considerably safer from a security point of view than connecting your desktop directly to the internet and would also allow you to have both machines connected at the same time.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started

Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.
Modal Dialogue Title