FIOS or VDSL2 in MDUs
startgame412
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi, I live in NYC in a MDU. A multi story building with 7 floors and 6 apartments each. Browsing this web site, I see that some of the FIOS routers that are given have support for VDSL2. Why do some of the routers have support for VDSL2?  Will VDSL2 take the place of ADSL in places where FIOS cannot be installed such as MDUs because the people who own these buildings have not given or will not give permisiion to install FIOS? Thanks.

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FIOS or VDSL2 in MDUs
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Anti-phish is correct.  You're hung up over symantics.   It is the FiOS network delivered via fiber to the premises.   Distribution within the premises (both single unit dwellings as well as MDU's) depends on the capabilities of the premise wiring itself.     No installation actually delivers "fiber" to the desktop, and frankly, you wouldn't want that.

In single unit installations, this distribution is Coax for TV, and either Coax or Cat5 ethernet (with Coax preferred because it simplifies the installation) for the Internet, and standard phone wire for telephone.

In MDU's it could be the same as a single unit or it could use a combination of the single unit techniques (for instance, TV is still via Coax, but the Coax may be shared by several units -- which has no impact on the delivery of the service) as well as other more expensive techniques such as the installation of ADSL/VDSL within the premises and distribution out over phone wires.

Regardless of the medium type, all of these possess high speed bandwidth capable connections and are not subject to the long issues you see with more traditional ADSL installations (the cable runs are very short and within the building and not subject to items such as weather or distance from the CO).

What Verizon does disclose is the speed limitations which may be associated with your installation.  Presently, the MDU installation is limited to, I believe, a 15/5 service offering for internet because of the current ADSLv2 limitations while home premise installation has available offerings in the 25/25 or 35/35 range and depending on your local FiOS head end configuration potentially higher.

View solution in original post

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The VDSL2 modems are used only when Verizon cannot run Microduct to each Apartment unit to install Fiber Optic cabling. Verizon prefers to do Fiber directly to the Apartment but sometimes due to Apartment agreements, that doesn't happen and they must re-use the telephone wiring in the building.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

As smith6612 says, it depends on the building.   Older buildings in particular or just even the objection to running additional duct work if it doesn't already exist to allow Verizon to extend the fiber optic cable to each unit or have a private phone/coax path to each unit will cause Verizon to choose an ADSL2 solution.

If there's a way to get fiber to each unit and if each unit is independently wired for telephone and coax from within the unit -- then you'll likely see fiber brought directly to your unit.

If however the wiring comes out of a central wiring closet for many tenants or (as is frequently the case for coax installations) some of the infrastructure is shared, then Verizon uses the ADSL2 solution.

In the latter scenario, Verizon brings a high speed fiber connection into the building's central wiring location and then splits it out into two infrastructures.  One carries the TV over coax to each dwelling -- all the STB's in the building are essentially on the same network.   The private internet portion of the traffic for each tenant is then brought into each unit by installing an ADSL2 shelf into the wiring hub and providing each customer with their own DSL connection.   As this DSL run is very short distance, they can get speeds much higher than traditional DSL from the central office.   By the same token however, there are limits to this short run DSL which are affected by the quality of the phone wiring, etc. and you will see in these scenario's customers being limited to 15/5 or 20/5 data plans instead of being able to get the 25/25 and 35/35 or higher plans.

The technology is still fiber to the building, it's just that the distribution out to the unit is using a different wired technology (much like most residential installations bring fiber to the customer's home, but use coax to distribute the internet out to the modem elsewhere in the house).

Regardless of the method, a FiOS installation will still be substantially faster and more reliable than a traditional CO-based DSL connection unless you're perhaps living right next door to the CO.

startgame412
Enthusiast - Level 2

Interesting.  Does verizon make this clear to the users who want FIOS Internet but are only able to get VDSL2 because of this? How can it be called FIOS Internet when in fact in these cases it is not. I would be very interested in hearing from anyone who has VDSL2 instead of FIOS because FIOS Internet cannot be installed. Thanks.

Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

You're getting hung up over semantics.  FIOS is considered Fiber to the Premesis (FTTP), which is true for an MDU install.

Even with your own ONT, it is still (normally) coax not fiber, between the ONT and the router.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Anti-phish is correct.  You're hung up over symantics.   It is the FiOS network delivered via fiber to the premises.   Distribution within the premises (both single unit dwellings as well as MDU's) depends on the capabilities of the premise wiring itself.     No installation actually delivers "fiber" to the desktop, and frankly, you wouldn't want that.

In single unit installations, this distribution is Coax for TV, and either Coax or Cat5 ethernet (with Coax preferred because it simplifies the installation) for the Internet, and standard phone wire for telephone.

In MDU's it could be the same as a single unit or it could use a combination of the single unit techniques (for instance, TV is still via Coax, but the Coax may be shared by several units -- which has no impact on the delivery of the service) as well as other more expensive techniques such as the installation of ADSL/VDSL within the premises and distribution out over phone wires.

Regardless of the medium type, all of these possess high speed bandwidth capable connections and are not subject to the long issues you see with more traditional ADSL installations (the cable runs are very short and within the building and not subject to items such as weather or distance from the CO).

What Verizon does disclose is the speed limitations which may be associated with your installation.  Presently, the MDU installation is limited to, I believe, a 15/5 service offering for internet because of the current ADSLv2 limitations while home premise installation has available offerings in the 25/25 or 35/35 range and depending on your local FiOS head end configuration potentially higher.

mike19691
Contributor - Level 1

Hi, I live in an MDU and I get my FIOS over the telephone line as you describe. No, neither the CSRs or the installing tech make any reference or distinction about it being VDSL or FIOS. It is simply referred to as FIOS which I believe is correct. It fits the requirements for FIOS speeds. I myself subscribe to 20/5 and get those results with a wireless connection so I think it lives up to its name.

rizzman
Enthusiast - Level 2

I think everyone did a great job pointing out what FTTP is. It is FiOS to the premises so the fiber optic cable is run straight to your premise but depending on how your premises are wired the "medium" connection may be different. So whether the customer is connected thru a VDSL2 structure or not the primary connection from the CO that is connected to the premise is always a fiber optic line. The onlything that VDSL2 affects is the bandwidth because it is split between many more people. That is why you receive 15/5 and 20/5 speeds but of course you are not going to pay the same for 20/5 speeds as you will for someone receiving 25/25 speeds.

jigarner
Enthusiast - Level 1

I agree with the statements, however, I am paying the same price for 20/5 that somone else is playing for 25/25.....if I moved to a townhouse with a ONT my speeds would change to 25/25 without any adjustment in price

0 Likes
wogfun

I'm stuck in the VDSL or ADSL2 whatever u want to call it boat.  I don't consider it misleading, but it just sucks.  My speeds are horrible depending on time of day, which does not make any sense if the DSL is only inside the building.  I asked VZ, why not utilize the coax and send a MOCA network up to me which would be light years faster, they say no due to network security.  OK, but the cable company can deliver far superior internet in the same building using the existing COAX.  So why don't I just get Optimum Online, well you see I prefer the devil I already know.  But seriously, the TV service from Fios outweighs what Optiumum would deliver, and I was only half kidding about the Devil part...  Anyway, I'm stuck on DSL, and not joking, I can SEE VZ sub station across the street from my apt building, without stretching my neck, its literally across the street.  Seems a little off if you ask me...

0 Likes