FIOS performance.
bcmchong

Can anyone please share if they are experiencing this?

I have FIOS service and the signal strength from my ActionTec router is showing all bars (another words full strength). Yet when I first bring up my browser and go to various sites, I get the spinning icon, like it is waiting to reach the site and all of a sudden the whole page loads almost instantly.  I sometimes have to wait up to 30 to 50 seconds. Performance seems to be better when I'm closer to the ActionTec router.

Any thoughts why this might be happening how to resolve it? I've even gone to sites that test your connection speed and once I'm on or connected to the site the speed is respectable but to actually get to the web site takes a while.

0 Likes
Re: FIOS performance.
mleduc35651
Contributor - Level 2

@bcmchong wrote:

Can anyone please share if they are experiencing this?

I have FIOS service and the signal strength from my ActionTec router is showing all bars (another words full strength). Yet when I first bring up my browser and go to various sites, I get the spinning icon, like it is waiting to reach the site and all of a sudden the whole page loads almost instantly.  I sometimes have to wait up to 30 to 50 seconds. Performance seems to be better when I'm closer to the ActionTec router.

Any thoughts why this might be happening how to resolve it? I've even gone to sites that test your connection speed and once I'm on or connected to the site the speed is respectable but to actually get to the web site takes a while.

From your description it seems you are talking a wireless connection. Just to rule out WIFI issues try connecting to the router with a wire and test to see if there is a difference.

Also it does sound like it could be a DNS issue. Every time you type in a web site address that address is sent to a DNS server to convert it to an IP address. Your browser then navigates to that IP address. You can test this fairlly easily by entering IP addresses instead of web urls.ry a google one with  216.239.32.10

You can convert some of the URLs you are using to IPs at http://cqcounter.com/whois/

If the DNS is an issue you can change to another DNS server. Google DNS and you should find lots of information on how

0 Likes
bcmchong

Thanks for your input. I tried using IP address to bypass DNS and performance is not all that much better. As for using a wired connection vs wireless to the Actiontec, wired does seem faster by about half the time, not snappy but definitely faster than wireless. I looked around at other posts on this topic and have changed the channel setting from 'Auto' to channel 11 but it didn't seem to make any difference.

I have full signal strength - should I still consider changing the antenna?

Thanks much.

0 Likes
cjacobs001
Contributor - Level 3

go to your browzer's tools\options and delete all cookies, etc....usually its a good idea to 'delete all'.

also, run the TCP\IP optimizer.  Verizon has one, but I think the one located at speedguide(dot)net is better.

using that one, push the slide all the way to the right, choose 'optimal settings' at the bottom, then click OK and make it happen.

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

It also could be partially a problem with the security software on your computer. A previous thread found that some speed issues were traced back to his Anti Virus program. In that case it was Windows 7 and AVG. Normally I wouldnt think of the AV being an issue but since there is a history of something like that its good to keep it in mind as a possiblity.

0 Likes
bcmchong

So here is something interesting for everyone to ponder on. As I mentioned, from my MacBook Pro laptop, wireless performance is poor in that it takes about 30 or so seconds for a page to finally load but when it loads it just snaps (or the page paints quickly)... but to get to that point it is a waiting game. 😞

But not so when I VPN in to my company. If I'm VPN'd in, pages are snappy and load satisfactorily. Is this smelling more and more like a DNS issue? I've am changed the DNS settings on the Actiontec but still no difference. Any thoughts?

Thanks much.

0 Likes
mleduc35651
Contributor - Level 2

it's possible that your laptop has it's own DNS running and is ignoring your Router's settings.

No idea how to check or change that though.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

sounds like a game server that is getting hammered from popularity.

try a different game server, or just try other stuff on the net in general.   the vpn works across the fios through the same dns If I remember correctly, so I really don't believe it's dns related.    me thinks the game server might be getting overloaded

0 Likes
bcmchong

nope, not a game server since I'm accessing many different sites. I've tried it on and off the VPN and when on the VPN response time is about 5 times faster. when I'm not on the VPN, as soon as I finish entering the URL, I get the 'spining' wheel for at least 20 to 30 seconds before the page appears. When the page finally appears it paints pretty quickly, it's just taking a long time to get to the page.

0 Likes
cjacobs001
Contributor - Level 3

Ohhhh.  you're using a mac, well, that's different.  The Verizon TCP\IP optimizer does not work on a mac, nor does the one from speedguide that I recommended.  You need to go to appledotcom and search for 'broadband tuner'.  That is their version of the optimizer.  It worx on a mac.

0 Likes