FIOS second router in detached building
acanthuscarver

I have FIOS into my home and I have a detached workshop on my property. I ran coax cable to the workshop with the intent of putting a tv in the shop at some point. I've now discovered that I'd really rather have wireless internet service. Can I just put another Actiontec M1424-WR router into the shop and connect it to the coax cable in order to get wireless internet service? If so, what would I need to do to set ip up so it doesn't conflict with the M1424 in my home? Also, do I need to have a computer connected to the second router via ethernet cable or will it function as a stand alone unit?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: FIOS second router in detached building
wthesing

I also have a 3500 Sq Ft. cabinet shop across the parking lot from my home. My distance from the router is about 100 feet, but the signal travels thru the house & shop walls. The key would be what your distance & obstructions would amount to. What you need would not be another router, but a network adapter. You need to receive signals from your router. I use a laptop in the shop for internet & streaming from my FIOS set top box (via Vulkano). The Vulkano unit can completely control the set top box from anywhere you have internet access. If you are just using a regular TV, and not a laptop, consider a ROKU for things such as Netflix streaming. There is also the possibility of adding a range extender to your router. Another trick would be to concentrate & direct the output from the antenna of your router by modifying a soda can & placing it over the antenna (google this mod for further info). Nowdays they make wireless receivers for televisions only, that your TV's Coax would plug into.

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@acanthuscarver wrote:

Can I just put another Actiontec M1424-WR router into the shop and connect it to the coax cable in order to get wireless internet service?

Yes, it's possible, but not quite as simple as just plugging it in.

See the following FAQ:

Can I get an ethernet connection in a room with only coax

MrsMark
Enthusiast - Level 3

You have a few options.  If you want to go wired...simply run the wire from the router to the area where the computer will be placed. If you are interested in wireless. Just purchase a normal router (it doesn't have to be verizons router). Just make sure the router sends a stronger signal to where the wireless adapter is located. If you are close enough, you may not need another router at all.  Check to see if your system detects your network. If it does, you are in business.

hope this helps.

0 Likes
acanthuscarver

Thanks all for the replies.

I guess the problem is, my Verizon router doesn't seem to have a strong enough signal to make it through the masonry walls of my house and shop. They're about 100 feet apart but both buildings are masonry with some other obstructions between. I already have an underground coax cable run from the house to the shop. The thought was to add a second router with a publicly accessible network in the shop for when I have friends and family over. This way they can access the internet without the world having access to my secure in house network.

I'll try to make heads or tails of what Anti-Phish suggested and see if that works.

Thanks again. If anyone else has suggestions, I'm open and appreciative.

0 Likes
MrsMark
Enthusiast - Level 3

If u already have the backbone down (wiring for wired) u should only need to connect the system directly into wall.  You won't need a router if your coax wire is already wired into the router in your home. 

0 Likes
weedeater1
Contributor - Level 3

The use of a 2nd Actiontec (or Verizon) router as a MOCA bridge would be the straightforward approach.  The link given explains how to set it up for bridge mode and disable the DHCP server.

I personally would not think of this as a separate 'open' network, but as a 2nd 'access point' to your home network.

0 Likes